Two cold radiators. Help!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by cold house, Nov 11, 2021.

1. cold house

cold house New Member

Hi, apologies for posting a commonly asked question. I tried to read through your answers to find my solution, but I still need to ask.

So, two storey semi with 8 radiators, Worchester combi boiler fitted just over two years ago, Magnaclean installed 10 years ago and replaced recently with the Worchester magnetic cleaner filter.

The radiators have trv valves that are not blocked but still two radiators, one on the first floor, one on the ground floor are not getting hot even though the feeding pipes (15mm) feel warm.

Turning off the working radiators only results in the boiler switching on and off. Seems unable to push the water through. The system was cleaned with a chemical cleaner at least four times, including when the boiler was replaced.I called a heating engineer who reccomended putting in another dose of cleaner or replacing all the downstairs pipes for £2,000 plus the cost of a new floor, which seems a lot of work and expense.

What could I try and if I disconnected the cold radiator and opened the valve would I get water leaking all over?

How is this done?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Maybe the common valve stuck.. Tap tap tap the trv as probably set to number 3 all summer with the natural temperature of 20c or above ment the valve pin has been pushed in for months and now stuck. Watch YouTube and that tap tap tap vibration shocks the pin in valve and it pops up.

3. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

have you tried removing the TRV head from the valve body, its a dry joint so safe to do, you will see a pin that sticks up on top, push the pin down a couple of time, leave the head off to see if radiator heats up

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

How do you know the TRV's are not blocked ,as you stated ? Or their pins stuck in the closed position ?

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Are you needing to top up the system regularly?

6. cold house

cold house New Member

Hi, thanks for the tip. Yes, tried that but no luck.

7. cold house

cold house New Member

Hi, no the system doesn't need regular top ups.

8. cold house

cold house New Member

Hi, because I removed the TRV valve and pushed the pin down, plus the plumber also checked. Sadly not so easy to fix.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You could close both valves on one of the rads that doesn't heat up ,then drain that rad and remove it from the wall.
    Once off the wall open the TRV ,holding a bucket at its outlet to catch the water ,let it run for for 20 seconds. Then close the TRV ,and repeat the above on the other valve.
    If your system is sealed / pressurised ,you will need a second person to keep the pressure topped up.
    If system is fed from a small loft tank it will replenish itself.
    If water doesn't flow continually when either valve is opened ,it's pipework is blocked or the valve itself is.

cold house likes this.
  10. cold house

cold house New Member

Thanks, Terrymac, that is helpful. Just another question: why is a 15mm pipe work throughout inadeguate?

11. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

You can achieve Terrymac's test without removing the radiator. Close both valves, open the bleed nipple and open one vave and let it run for a few. Close that valve and open the other and let it run. If it doesn't run on either valve then you have the culprit.

cold house likes this.
  12. cold house

cold house New Member

Thank you Heatyman, I am very grateful for this.