Two ring mains?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Diy Darren, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Diy Darren

Diy Darren New Member

In 3 bedroom bungalow (Approx. 90m2) is it worth spliting the load on the ring main circuit? Currently the property has a lack of sockets and I am doing some extensive updating; skirting boards etc and adding more sockets so am in position to possibly split the property into 2 rings.

Is it worth it??

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Most houses these days have seperate ring mains for upstairs & downstairs. You wont loose all power if one is off then.

3. Dewy

Dewy New Member

The sparkies can answer the rest as it could cause problems if you or spomeone else didnt know which sockets were on the same ring main.

4. Snave

Snave New Member

I've just finished a total re-wire on my bungalow. I did three rings, one for bedrooms, one for lounge/dining room/hall and one for kitchen. The main reason being I can isolate a portion without shutting the whole place down. I've labelled the respective MCB's as such - Bedrooms, House, Kitchen etc. When we moved in every room had only one (single) socket - how on earth did they manage?
    HE

5. fusefinder

fusefinder New Member

certainly worth puting the kitchen on its own ring- especially if you have washer, dryer and dishwasher these 3 running at full whack will eat up most of your capacity on a 32A ring.

6. Dewy

Dewy New Member

When my house was built (1966) 1 socket per room was normal. We had an extra one put in by the living room door because as it was, the hoover couldn't reach up the stairs. There was over 40 feet between the upstairs & downstairs sockets. I understand that in Canada (not sure about USA) you must have an outlet every 4' along the walls.

7. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Not surprised about the yanks having a skt at every 4ft interval. The bl00dy houses are massive!!

8. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I know a lady in Michigan whose garage alone is 60'x40' & she says that is small compared to her house. She heats the garage in winter too.

9. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I don't blame her - it gets bl00dy cold in Michigan in the winter....

10. chocolateblock

chocolateblock New Member

yes everything in america is bigger including the lunatic asylums

11. Dewy

Dewy New Member

She should do alright then, she was a practitioner nurse who recently passed her finals as a doctor.
    Better not tell her about my cold or she's likely to send a huge bill. ;)