TWO ZONE HEATING

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by midlands heating, Oct 14, 2010.

1. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

How many people are abiding by the new rules from 1st october for 2 heating zones in all properties (new or refurbished). so you got an easy combi to fit but now gotta stick motorised 2 port valve in and another room stat (and the wiring of both) ?????
    What a crock of * who thought this up, ok in big houses but in my little 2 up 2 downs its daft both roomstats will be so close might as well have just the one, and all the extra work and cost !!
    Think my memory will be going LOL I aint heard about that rule.

[Edited by: admin]

2. chris roast

chris roast Member

just fitting thermostatic radiator valves, then each room is independant zones, why fit 2 port valves?

3. midlands heating

below 150 square metres must be 2 zones up/down
    over 150 square metres as above but with independant time control also.
    TRV's DO NOT comply (same as they do not comply on original part L as they are not linked to boiler to stop short cycling (interlock).
    You better read the rules mate and then you can be as * off as I am LMAO

[Edited by: admin]

4. chris roast

chris roast Member

got this info on website, think it only applies to new builds, which it will be easy to do, on existing will be knightmare, lifting floorboards etc trying to find uostairs flow pipe,
    (All new systems in dwellings that aren’t open plan must have at least two heating zones, each controlled by a thermostat and zone valve. In addition, all radiators must have Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRVs) fitted except those in rooms with a room thermostat and those inbathrooms.- When replacing a boiler in an existing system it is now good practice to install TRVs on allradiators except those in rooms with a room thermostat and those in bathrooms while thesystem is drained down. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

thats great news, this means the gas boards prices will go through the roof, they'll have to comlpy, while me and wetnec 'll just turn a deaf ear and make a killin :^O

6. midlands heating

yes chris I thought it was new build only but thats NOT the case its ALL new installations. Started on 1st october the same as the demise of band B boilers unless of course contract signed prior to this and then you have until next april !!

Page 35 october heating and plumbing monthly (article written by honeywell)
    Only hope someone can tell me this article is wrong cus the extra work involved is a pain.

7. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

yes chris I thought it was new build only but thats
    NOT the case its ALL new installations. Started on
    1st october the same as the demise of band B boilers
    unless of course contract signed prior to this and
    then you have until next april !!

Replacing a boiler is NOT a new installation.

8. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

If this is the case it would be better in many cases to fit two combis and have two independent systems....and 26 litres/min DHW. :)

9. superfurryanimal

superfurryanimal New Member

10. midlands heating

"Replacing a boiler is NOT a new installation. "
    if not then WS what do YOU call it ????
    suppose you don't put condensing boilers in either cus
    Replacing a boiler is NOT a new installation.
    read the rules/regs b4 posting wrong information !!

11. wetnec

wetnec New Member

a killin :^O

Not only quids in on that Tom,even given me free Dicolofenac prescriptions for me owl knees and vasiline for the Wifes crutch. :^O :^O. Luv it

12. imran_

imran_ New Member

Replacing a boiler IS a new install, and anyone suggesting installing 2 boilers instead of a boiler with 2 heating zones is totally mental. Ah, I see.......

At least having wireless stats makes it a little easier. Personally I now recommend (where applicable):
    - weather compensator for main programmable stat
    - separate programmable stat with setback function for secondary (usually upstairs) zone

That way they can keep upstairs on a warm setback temp (say 15c) at night without having to do the whole house. Weather comp is a no-brainer nowadays - also makes for much more precise and controlled heating

13. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

i'm eatin um like smarties at the moment, and they only give my 50 on a presciption now, can't see my knee's reahin 60, i'll have to go shelf fillin with loz,

14. wetnec

wetnec New Member

Never mind shelf filling Tom.. get that guitar out and book some wedding gigs doin Elvis,mate of mine makes a livin at it.

15. superfurryanimal

superfurryanimal New Member

imran , whats the crack with these weather compensaters then ?
    do we still need to fit timers and roomstats ?

16. chris roast

chris roast Member

fit remeha and weather compensater awesome

17. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

"Replacing a boiler is NOT a new installation. "
    if not then WS what do YOU call it ????

The installation is the system.The boiler is just one component.

You need to look at the fine print and the meaning of the words.

18. midlands heating

"The installation is the system.The boiler is just one component.

You need to look at the fine print and the meaning of the words."
    strange your the ONLY one that thinks that !
    what do you call installing a boiler then "throwing it in". Of course its installation As gas safe rules determine "you have to notify INSTALLATIONS"
    Engage brain before opening mouth (or post on forum in your case) springs to mind LMAO

19. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

and anyone suggesting installing 2 boilers
    instead of a boiler with 2 heating zones is totally
    mental.

Anyone whop can't see the advantages of fitting two combis in price, very high flowrate and simplicity need to stick to changing bathrooms.

At least having wireless stats makes it a little
    easier.

Yep, two combis, one up and one downstairs, join the outlets for the bath using check valves and use wirelss stats on each. Childs play and cheap & quick.

Personally I now recommend (where
    applicable):
    - weather compensator for main programmable stat
    - separate programmable stat with setback function
    for secondary (usually upstairs) zone

..only because I told you. Having two separate stat/programmers will confuse the user. They must be the same make.

Weather comp is a no-brainer nowadays -
    also makes for much more precise and controlled
    heating

After all this time it sunk in. :)

20. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

imran , whats the crack with these weather
    compensaters then ?
    do we still need to fit timers and roomstats ?

Weather compensation does not supersede stats or timers.