Tyre size?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Gazowl1975, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Gazowl1975

Gazowl1975 Member

My fiesta car tyres are a 195/40/16 standard size but can I use 195/45/16 tyres what's difference is it the profile that's all are they compatible? Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Safer to say no. Unless Ford day you can, fitting the wrong size would potentially invalidate your insurance. This change would mean your speedo was out. It’s a bit early, but I think you would be going faster than the speedo says. Might work it out later

if you decide to fit them. As it’s a change of size you would need to fit them in pairs across the axle.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You would be a tad faster, in my link above it shows the speedometer difference,etc.
    Still too early for me.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=195-40r16-195-45r16

5. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I worked it out on the back of an envelope and got 2mph at 60, happy to see I can still remember something :)

KIAB likes this.
  6. soabar

soabar Member

If you do change profile, you will need to change all 4 tyres, not just an axle pair. The wheel speed sensors / ABS module will clock up a rotational difference between the axles & probably pop up a recurring ABS fault warning.

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You'll be fine, gazowl. Out of interest why do you want to change the tire size are they cheaper or do you just like the look of them better?

8. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

I believe you can change the tyres to whatever you wish as long as the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre stay the same. Plus you would need to inform insurers of the change, they may want a charge for this !

9. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

That’s the point. The overall diameter changes in this question.

10. Gazowl1975

Gazowl1975 Member

Only available size on ebay pal

11. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

If my tire sizes are not correct, I find the 4 wheel drive keeps engaging and disengaging and it feels as if I am driving on a concrete road, smallest tires must be on the front, so if I renew tires new always fitted to rear. And not talking about a different tire, just the wear from driving.

It seems the 4 wheel drive is triggered by the ABS so it would seem likely even without 4 wheel drive it could cause a problem. Years ago I fitted paddles to a Landrover for off road use, with smaller wheels to take larger tires, but today that's no longer an option.