Uncollected Item - Did you know you won't automatically get a refund?!

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Bazza999, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Bazza999

Bazza999 New Member

Hi all,

Wanted to highlight something which I think needs to be put right by Screwfix, so here goes!

So I ordered and paid for a sander for a job back in Nov-2020, ended up not needing it in the end, and actually completely forgot about picking it up. Got a couple texts saying it's ready for collection but as I didn't need it, I put it to the back of my mind and thought I'd sort it out later.

Like it does, life got in the way and I completely forgot about having paid for the item. A couple months later, I remembered about this sander, but I just assumed Screwfix would have automatically refund me the money as it hadn't been picked up..... nope. Turns out they just hold on to the money and the item indefinitely!!!

Now ok, I admit I forgot to pick up the item but surely if someone hasn't picked up the item eg. after 3 months, then they've definitely forgot about it / don't need it. I would expect a business to refund the customer's money, but it seems they just hold on to it. Don't get me wrong, I have massive respect for Screwfix, and it's helped me out numerous times with great customer service, but I just wonder how many tradesmen have items they've ordered, then not needed for one reason or another and forgot to request a refund.... because if you don't ask, seems like you won't get your money back.... well that's what I was told by customer services. Anyway I remembered so I got it back, but I bet there are tens of thousands of pounds stuck with Screwfix which they have the ability to return to customers, but haven't....

Anyway rant over be interesting to hear if other had been in the same position....

toolz likes this.
  2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

In some cases they cannot as they no longer have details of your credit card - they may just have 123x xxxx xxxx x678 in their records. Some companies delete or modify the data so if hacked your card details are not compromised but if you call and give a card number where the start and finish match then they can refund. SF may work this way, or there could be other reasons. I would suggest it is not underhand or dodgy practice but what they consider is the best solution.

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

They do say that if you don't collect within 21 days the item will be placed back in store and then you can arrange for it to be delivered again or request a refund. Just a case of understanding the policy and not being forgetful.

4. toolz

toolz Member

I agree with you that this is poor customer service. If you order something to an Amazon locker and don't collect with a certain amount of time, it gets sent back and you get a refund. Which is useful in current times if you cannot leave your house to collect something due to COVID restrictions.

jonathanc likes this.
  5. Bazza999

Bazza999 New Member

Re. Credit card refunds, as the majority of purchases are online, and having worked in IT online commerce, for online purchases I know that refunds can be processed without having access to the card. Credit card payment portals allow this. Also when I rang up to request a refund, they didn’t ask for my card details, they just did it, so I don’t think that’s a valid excuse for withholding your money.

re. 21 days and item is put back into stock, that’s even more reason to refund the money. Without a doubt they do have the facilities to refund. The existence of a policy is not proof of justification, as Consumer Rights act 2015 protects consumers from unfair terms, and I’d say holding on to money and restocking the item would fall under this category.....

jonathanc and toolz like this.
  6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

i was interested to see the OP had experienced great customer service. yes some branches are great but where i am the local branch is absolutely miserable. I hate to say it there is also a local TS branch and that could not be more different - absolute pleasure to walk in there

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If over £100 claim back from the credit card as you haven't received the item. ;)