Uncompetitive Prices

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by malkie129, Dec 4, 2016.

1. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Does anyone else think that our hosts are taking the p*** with regard to prices? I was looking at Facebook this afternoon when I saw a Screwfix advert which showed Fischer 8mm x 40 SX plugs. I clicked onto this,thinking it may be a special offer,but no !!! The price was £9-29 for 100. I thought what? !!! I then checked the T***s******n price for identical plugs. The price was£4-93. Some difference !!

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Swings and roundabouts

I would rather buy from Screwfix any day

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I think they must be doing them as a loss leader at that price, though SF is expensive, other are around the £8.00 mark.

4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I agree. SF prices on some things are extortionate when compared with their competitors, but they are close, quick and convenient, so i use them a fair bit.

5. It is all about greed and to maximise profits.
    With the buying power that the Kingfisher group have, they could sell things a lot cheaper than they do and still make a massive profit.
    The last cordless I bought was £130.00 cheaper than the inflated Screwfix price,so always shop around.

longboat and KIAB like this.
  6. malkie129

Where I live, they are next door to each other,so I go for the best price. :):)

KIAB likes this.
  7. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

As said SF are handy, always just round the corner for last minute bits but 9/10 can be beaten on price by shopping around.
    And always beaten on price with regards to tools.

8. Prices are always relative. You have to take into account, time, availability, distance, need, what cost difference etc.

Travelling 10 miles or 30 mins to save £2 isnt worth it. Likewise, travelling a big distance, or having items delivered due to cost difference and enough time sounds sensible, but you also need to take into account, guarantees, quality, helpfulness too.

Cheapest isnt always best, nor is paying over the top for regular items. But sometimes its better to pay for convenience.

No single place will ever be the cheapest for everything. Personally I have better things to do with my time than spend ages comparing prices. You get a feel for the right place for certain items. Its only when buying something unusual or expensive that its worth time to find the best buy.

Is it not a bit rude to complain about screwfix on here anyway if you know a better place to buy the item you want? I use screwfix when it suits me, not when it doesnt, as I am sure they can see from my purchase history etc

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You say that though.

I once order some 1200mm Milton drainage rings from Jewsons, the job I was on was 60 miles from my local branch, there was a Jewsons literally a 1/4 mile from the job, the rings came from my branch because the other couldn't price match, now that's stupid.

10. So, you knew what price you could get them for, and from where?

Did you spend time and money fetching them? Or get the best deal you could, by having them delivered and carrying on working and getting paid?

My point was, if you have to stop a job to go and get bits, you have to balance, time, price, availability etc. If bits are being delivered, you dont have to factor in your time

11. malkie129

I agree with a lot of the comments,but nearly twice the price for a packet of plugs, compared to a supplier next door? Something ain't right ! :mad::mad:

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Funny enough I went to top up with these exact plugs Saturday morning but TS were out of stock. They had the other 11 items I wanted though and gave me a Stanley paint brush free as there was some promo on.:)

I don't care where I get my consumables as both companies are not far from each other but I'm not going to pay over the odds unless I have to. Always buy my Torx from TS.