Under cabinet lighting connection behind cabinet

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ME69, Dec 14, 2017.

1. ME69

ME69 Member

Hi,

I'm a diy'er fitting a kitchen. I need to join the led strip lights behind one of the wall units as the cable is too short to allow connection under the unit.

I've got a 15mm void in which to make the connection.

Its part of a ring so got a cable to return too.

Can anyone recommend a suitable fitting for this please that will fit in my small gap?

Thanks

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

What voltage is this connection? Is it mains or ELV (12/24v) for the LEDs?

Also, me no understand this part
    Lights are not installed as rings, they are usually radial circuits. Can you explain please?

3. ME69

ME69 Member

They are 240v led lights.

Sorry, my bad, what I mean is that there are two cables coming down to the light, so both need connecting to maintain the circuit.

Thanks

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Bring all of the cables into the cupboard and use a tidy looking junction box fixed to the cupboard back. The joints in the cables must be accessible unless they are soldered, brazed or crimped, (D5.3.4 Accessibility of connections)

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only diy me but, crimped connections will be good here, inbetween cupboard back and wall

Red or blue, depending on how many cables you’ve got

Don’t even try with one of those pound shop rubbish crimper jobbies, no good. You need a ratchet crimper, doesn’t need to be top of the range but will give a superior, maintenance free joint

What type cable are you using, stranded flex or solid T&E ?

Some dispute over crimping solid core cable so the pros will better advise. Likewise, you may be joining stranded and solid in the same crimp - again I dunno if that’s ok

Can heat shrink over the crimp for an even nicer finish :)

6. ME69

ME69 Member

Are you talking about the crimp / push fit terminals that my nova's stereo system was full of 15 years ago?

If so I've still got loads of those kicking around!

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

No! He is talking about proper mains voltage crimps. You would need the crimps and a pukker rachet crimper.

Just get yourself a junction box from Screwfix one of these will do you.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/debox-in-line-connector-box/8692h

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Not a great picture of JB on their link is it ....... bare cpc, no sleeving, bluddy sloppy innit :mad:

9. ME69

ME69 Member

Thanks for the advice