Under counter lighting help

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Matthew Tyrrell, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Matthew Tyrrell

Matthew Tyrrell New Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to find lights and the correct driver / junction box for it. I have a plug socket above a cabinet attached to a light switch, I need to run 2 separate lighting circuits, one to a single led strip about 30cm long, the second to an LED strip that is approx 2.5m long and needs an end cable length of 2.5m. Does this make any sense at all?

2. MrM

MrM Member

Kind of.

But why do you have a light switch controlling a plug socket?

3. Matthew Tyrrell

Matthew Tyrrell New Member

It's a light switch for the kitchen under counter lights and the socket is above one of the cabinets, specifically to plug in lights for that reason, I could take the socket off and hardwire something in I suppose....

4. MrM

MrM Member

Hard to say without images but is it not possible just to extent the run of lights that are being fed by the socket?

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I would 100% urge you take the socket off and just terminate with a junction box. Then connect any LED drivers to the the JB. If the light switch is actually connected to the lighting circuit, this is a must do (fitting a socket to a lighting circuit is just about one of the biggest no no's there is)

MrM likes this.
  6. There is nothing in the regs to say you cannot have a socket on a lighting circuit. Just label it up for lights only, it will more than likely be protected by a 6 amp mcb, if anyone plugged a high current item in it would only blow the mcb.

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I don't disagree with your thoughts on the regs. But it's still a stupid thing to do anyway.