Under floor heating - two levels

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by TomXFD, Nov 21, 2020 at 11:30 PM.

1. TomXFD

TomXFD New Member

Hi,
    I’m planning to install wet under floor heating throughout my basement flat- just purchased and gutting the whole place, so I think it’s sensible to do it now during major renovations.

The majority of the floor area is on one level, but there are two areas that are a step down, approximately 150mm lower.
    I’m planning to install the boiler and manifold/distribution for the UFH heating on the normal floor area (ie higher) but I’d like to know if I can run UFH pipes to the lower areas too. One of these areas will be an en-suite and the other a study/small bedroom so I really want to cover the entire floor area.
    Would the system still work ok? Is there any danger of air pockets, or as long as the system is pressurised correctly, surely the water will just flow down to the lower area and then back to the distributor?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

2. kiaora

kiaora Screwfix Select

Hi
    If the manifold is above all the circuits, and the boiler above the manifold, all is good,
    I have found if you can get 100mm insulation below the circuits, and 75mm screed above, it works very well,

more circuits more control,
    Best water temperature for circuit, around 40/45c

you still need to consider what floor covering is fitted, ?

floor laminate has improved a lot in recent years,

good luck
    Peter

3. TomXFD

TomXFD New Member

Thanks so much - really helpful.
    Any recommendation or considerations re screed type - I read that a wet screed is good but I don’t have any idea re cost/benefit. Also, am I right in thinking the screed type would effect the minimum depth to prevent cracking?
    We have some challenges re access (basement) and contractor parking outside requires parking suspension/resident only parking (costly) so I’m trying to figure my way round this with a few variables.
    Tom

4. kiaora

kiaora Screwfix Select

Hi
    The companies that supply the pipes and manifolds are normally very helpful with the design of the installation,
    It’s a free service, get in touch, they may have come up with a suitable timber / laminate flooring, I don’t know, but worth a discussion with them, there are different suppliers,

good luck
    Peter