Under sink hot water

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by IDolphin, Dec 11, 2018.

1. IDolphin

IDolphin New Member

Anyone have any experience/opinion? As it takes ages to get any hot water to my kitchen sink I am considering putting something like an ARISTON UNDERSINK WATER HEATER 2KW 15LTR on the (pressurised) hot water feed. That way I get fairly instant hot water, but don't need another tap and the unit can fill from my main tank.

I can't think of any technical reasons why not. Am I just being a bit thick?

2. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I’ve used Heatrae Sadia under-sink heaters which use cold water. Not instant. A bit like boiling a kettle. But avoided heating excess water and were probably economic if only switched on when needed.

3. The latter I'm afraid.

4. robertpstubbs

Depends on your overall system. With an electric shower there wasn’t a need to heat lots of water so under-sink heaters made sense.

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If you can get a 10mm2 twin and earth cable to the undersink area without too much difficulty I would strongly advise an instant water heater - ideally 12kW, but 9kW would do.
    That way, you're not wasting any energy keeping 15 litres of water hot all day for the couple of times a day that you actually need hot water there.

If it's too much of a hassle getting a heavy duty cable there, then I would use your undersink 15 litre system, but I would put it on a programmable timer so that you're only heating it when you're likely to be needing hot water.

6. Oh dear! It's just getting worse.

7. robertpstubbs

Also if you use a dishwasher that uses cold water, you really don’t need much hot water in your kitchen.

8. Perhaps let's get back to basics. Please define "ages".
    Say, in seconds. Timed not guestimated.

9. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Hot water is sometimes fed from a header tank and due to that usually isn't drunk.

If you want water up to say 40C or there abouts for washing up and hand washing etc sounds sensible to me. The heat loss out of some of them is pretty low. There are also various instant water heaters about but not sure what they would do if they started getting water hotter then they were set to - probably just turn off. That sort of thing often doesn't need a hefty mains supply. Don't cost much so I might just fit and find out what happens. ;) but that's me.

For boiling water we use a hot water dispenser. It can give up to 1.5l. Min I think about 150ml or there abouts. I'd like to find something like that which can be plumbed in - save filling the tank. It just heats the amount of water it's set for.

John
    -