Undercoat needed after Bin Zinsser on Skirts?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Philipo51617, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Philipo51617

Philipo51617 Member

Hi
    Just painted my pine skirts with Bin Zinssner, do I need to apply an undercoat now before I add my top coat?

Also recommendation for Satinwood topcoat, i was leaning to LEYLAND TRADE SATIN FAST DRYING PAINT BRILLIANT WHITE ?

Any recommendations?....
    Cheers

2. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

I certainly would put an undercoat of the same system, will give it more body and the top coat will be easier to apply and will dry more solid

Astramax likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You don't have to uc but I always do. BIN don't cover well so a uc will obliterate background and give a good surface. As for paint there are many different types and quality so you pays your money and takes you choice.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Always undercoat over a primer.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Topcoat choice for me would be Crown Fastflow

2nd choice - Johnstone’s Aqua

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes and use the same brand of undercoat for whatever the topcoat is you choose as Dr Decorator advised.

7. Philipo51617

Philipo51617 Member

Cheers all. The equivalent top coat would be.....
    LEYLAND TRADE SATINWOOD PAINT BRILLIANT WHITE 2.5LTR (75370)...but this is not water based, is that an issue?

The closest I can find on screwfix for water based is ....LEYLAND TRADE SATINWOOD PAINT BRILLIANT WHITE 2.5LTR (75370). However, this is just Satin as opposed to Satinwood, is there a difference?

Thanks again

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What's wrong with (88133)?................Leyland water base quick drying satin!:)

9. Philipo51617

Philipo51617 Member

o_O whoops...copied the same one twice, that was the one I meant, ta!

10. David_A

David_A New Member

(Picking up an old post).
    I phoned Zinsser technical helpline, and they said you dont actually need to UC over BIN, as it is an all in one primer and undercoat. If the first BIN coat doesnt cover it, do a second. Though I'll prob err on the safe side, to try for a better top coat, and UC it anyway.

Though the general rule with primers (assuming its not an all in 1) is that you always UC before the top coat (gloss etc).

You must also clean well before ...sugar soap, and then wash this down with warm water.

Any type of paint can be used over BIN (water based or oil based gloss/satin/eggshell).