Undercoat Primer vs Undercoat for Undercoating?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by fred812, Jul 28, 2018.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Specifically Dulux Trade Quick Drying.

Just thinking there must be some trade off in the Undercoat Primer.

So does the plain undercoat have better coverage?

Ta.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Quick Drying Primer Undercoat is basically a primer/undercoat for bare wood where as Dulux Quick Drying Undercoat is an undercoat for previously painted surfaces including metal both with good opacity and flow.

3. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

It pretty much says that on the tin. Just wondering if I have a tin of both and a colour change to deal with should I prime with the primer / undercoat then switch to the undercoat for a second coat because it has better coverage.

If you only had the primer / undercoat would you go out a buy the undercoat or re-coat with the primer / undercoat.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you are dealing with a colour change over previously painted timber then the Q/D undercoat is the one to use not the primer/U-coat. Read the DATA sheet available online.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Pre painted surfaces need to be deglossed with wet and dry or sand paper. Surface needs to be clean. That's so important when using water based paints to get a good adhesion. I'm not a fan of these products you mentioned although some like them

6. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Water based paints are the work of the devil imo.

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

They are if you don't know which brands to use and how to use them.

8. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I know how to use them but I know I can get a far superior finish with oil based.

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah. I've seen some amazing gloss from solvent but the yellowing that happens to white so quickly means it's useless. The slow dying and stink doesn't help the cause either. Have you used a decent wb gloss or satin?

fillyboy likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I use at least 95% water based acrylic paint on all my jobs, gloss, satin eggshell plus appropriate undercoats and primers not to mention emulsion paint, customers prefer the softer finish and the fact that the solvent odour does not exist which is a big plus point.

11. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Yeah the yellowing is a problem. @ Astra, I'd only tried Dulux till several months ago when after reading a thread on here I tried the Crown which was better, I haven't got around to trying Johnstones yet but it's on list to try, I gather from you guys Johnstones is the leader in acrylic at the moment, problem for me is the nearest Johnstones centre is about 20 miles away in Truro.

I've got the communal hallway for 7 flats to do sometime this year so that will definitely be water based for obvious reasons and I'll pop down Johnstones for the materials on that one.

Astramax likes this.
  12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Take a look online at The Paint Shed (recomended by Kiab some time ago)

Free delivery over £75, great customer service, hard to beat prices and, they sell Johnstones Paint (possibly a limited range though)

Also consider Crown Trade Fastflow, again sold by the above

I’ve used the water based Satin and Gloss and found it excellent to both use and the finish

It’s not ‘gloopy’ like some of the WB paints and really flows out and settles nicely, almost like an oil based paint

Above is all personal preference of course, just like our choice of beer, sport, food and women, etc o_O