Underground/Overground soil pipe fittings

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kirby Castle, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

Can you use underground fittings for overground use?

i.e. branch connectors and bends etc

2. gjc

gjc Guest

KC,

No they are not the same at all, both are made to a different BS and can only be used for their specified purpose.

GJ

3. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

So exactly what is the difference.

Dimensions and seal etc are identical as you need at some point to join the two.

Wall thickness may be increased on underground to accomodate load but that will have no effect on using overground.

The only potential difference I can think of is UV stability.

4. jmcbuilders

jmcbuilders New Member

It is the material that they are made of that is the problem if you use under ground above ground sun light will start to break down the plastic it. Plus why do you want to. do you where your slippers down the pub or out in the wet. most don't because they are not designed for out door use. i suppose there will always be one. ( Said in jest ) Jamie

5. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

As I guessed - UV.

..because I already have the fittings I need and I can't seem to find overground equivalents.

I after using 2 x 7.5 degree bends together to create a "step" in a vertical run to shift it 50mm further off the wall it is fixed to.

It will be boxed in so wont be subject to UV exposure.

BTW you 'wear' slippers. There's always one! :)

6. gjc

gjc Guest

UV exposure is one factor, however, as I said, they are not made for that purpose, just like the slipper/shoe comparison jmc made.

But you won't get nicked for wearing slipper in the pub! You will for using these fitting 'illegally', and the BCO and Water Inspector will point this out when they visit the site.....I mean, you did tell him what you were planning didn't you?

GJ

7. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

...and the other factors are exactly?

I cannot find anything in the regs about this.

I haven't installed this so there is no "illegal" installation as yet.

What alternatives are there?

8. bilco

bilco New Member

Hi KC

I don't know what differences there are between the types so I can't say whether they are interchangeable or not...I'm sure if you ring this number someone will be able to give you chapter n verse
    Tel: 01249 766600 Tel: Wavin plastics ltd. (Osma)

9. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

..indeed, that is what I did yesterday and their tech dept. said no problem as long as it's boxed in to prevent UV exposure.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has already done this sort of thing.

10. bilco

bilco New Member

If you're a plumb, you don't normaly get involved with below ground kit, so you don't tend to have the ug about your person...but I see bibs n bobs here n there...Even been passed/overlooked by BCOs it seems.

11. gjc

gjc Guest

The other 'popped' into my head is........the x factor in the pipes is different on u/g and a/g fittings! Therefore, the expansion rates will vary and the temperature which suit one, will not suit another!

You could always call your local BCO, as Bilco says, some will, some won't pass all sorts. Best to call before you start though, they just love making you rip things apart!

GJ

12. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

BCO turned up today and said zip about it!

Simply mentioned that I had to double tack plasterboard the boxing in as it was in a garage.

I guess he had destroyed enough this morning and so was in a good mood, GJ.

...ah well....onward..

13. gjc

gjc Guest

KC,

Typical. Double pb is 30 min fire resistant......or so they say!

GJ

14. bilco

bilco New Member

Storm in a tea cup :)

Something like masterboard is better for boxing...the corners are easier to deal with

15. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

Understandably I felt much better knowing that if there was a fire in my garage I would have time to go for a pee on the way out!

The masterboard comment is interesting, Bilco. I didn't think of using that. I guess a timber frame then fix the masterboard on (with screws?). Do you need 2 layers? What about finishing (leave bare/paint?).

16. bilco

bilco New Member

I think 9mm masterboard is 1/2 hour rating...don't need to paint

17. gjc

gjc Guest

Bilco,

They insist on 13mm double skin around these parts! or you can get down the merchants and use the purpose made stuff for 8 times the price!!

GJ