Underlay for bedroom

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mcloum, Oct 4, 2021.

1. mcloum

mcloum New Member

Morning all,

I'm looking at putting laminate down in the bedroom and its bascially my first attempt. I'm the first to admit i am absolutley terrible at DIY, my first job was wallpapering the spare bedroom which went OKish.

So a little history, we have had Kardean flooring fitted downstairs and the fitters used chipboard on the floor first and then levelled it before stcking the boards down. this feels very solid which i like and i want to replicate this in the bedroom. We had laminate in the kitchen previously and after a few years the underlay became compressed in the high traffic areas and just felt loose and a bit rubbish.

So is there any underlay that will make the laniate solid over the years and not compress and creak after years of usage?

Cheers

Mike

2. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Hi Mike, your other floor probably feels solid because of the prep work done as opposed to the underlay. The biggest problem with laminate in my experience is pre existing movement in the floor i.e loose floor boards, joists lacking the correct amount of noggins etc. By fixing down the chipboard he tied everything in together and made it strong and solid.

I don't think underlay compression is a big problem with any product you will buy from a reputable retailer.

3. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Agreed with above, they key element here is the sub floor, not the underlay

4. mcloum

mcloum New Member

Hi Jim,

Yes the prep-work is different for Kardean flooring as the fitters have guidelines to follow in order for the manufacturer to honor the warranty. The existing flooring shouldnt move or become loose, the house is only 6 years old and is big solid sheets of wood already as opposed to floor boards.

Like i mentioned i laminated the kitchen with underlay from B&Q when we moved in but after a few years the high traffic areas started to creak and you could feel the boards compress under your feet where the underlay had become flat.

5. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

depends on what type of underlay you used, and what type of laminate flooring you had. Aim for 12mm laminate, as it's nice and solid. I'm a fan of the laminate they sell in Costco (may be available elsewhere), which has the underlay already attached to the underside of the board - perfect of you already have a nice flat floor to begin with.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Home-Impro...-Foam-Underlay-1146-m-Per-Pack/p/GSgreywalnut

6. mcloum

mcloum New Member

Unfortunatley we dont have a costco near me :) but if thicker boards helps then i'll bear that in mind when we go look.

I think the underlay was ust the green sheets of foam, i cant remember the name.

7. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Check all the floorboards/chipboard to make sure it's securely screwed down and there is no movement. If you find movement, you may need to add some additional screws, but of course you have to be wary of pipes/wires underneath.
    Go for a thin foam underlay, ensure it's laid down flat with no ripples and tape the edges. When fitting the flooring, ensure the joints are properly clicked in and secure- use a tapping block when fitting the boards.

Jiml86 and mcloum like this.
  8. mcloum

mcloum New Member

thanks chaps will see how i get on.