Undrillable wall?!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Hammer of the Gods, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Hammer of the Gods

Hammer of the Gods New Member

Hey folks,

As you may have seen in the Carpenters forum, I've been converting the old brick garage that came with a house I bought last year. I've been trying to put brackets up on one wall where I can store timber lengths, but my masonry bit and hammer drill just won't get past a certain point. They've worked fine on an exterior wall in the same structure, which I covered with insulation and plasterboard, but this particular wall is just being really uncooperative and defying my tools. The only thing I can think of is that this wall is shared with my neighbour's garage. Could it be that he's lined the wall on his side with some material that's causing the issue? That said, if that's the case, I'm clearly drilling too deep!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

SDS drill.

How depth you driling before this certian point, could be you overheating the bits,& they then loose their edge.
    Some brick can be hard, very hard & difficult to drill.

3. Hammer of the Gods

Thanks mate. I take it an SDS drill is just more powerful than a percussion drill? The one I have is a basic Energer 710w.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

SDS works in a totally different way to a percussion (impact) drill.

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

SDS will be like a knife through butter!

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's your drill and bit, not the wall.

KIAB likes this.
  7. Hammer of the Gods

Much obliged folks. * adds SDS drill to Screwfix saved list

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You don't need a super duper £500 job mind, a corded makita or bosch for about £100 and so and £20 on good quality bits will last you years.

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Spot on. I bought a "cheap" Wickes SDS drill many years ago for £100, its brill for those tough drilling jobs and even managed to core bore a couple of 115mm holes (just).

10. Hammer of the Gods

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Titan is SF own branded tools, should work a treat.

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

13. Hammer of the Gods

14. Hammer of the Gods

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can highly recommded Heller Trijet sds plus bits from competitor.
    Also Heller sds plus bull point, chisel,etc all excellent, long lasting, from same place as above.

http://www.hellertools.com/en/produ...detail/hellerproduct/trijet-hammer-drill-bit/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It is lighter - a lot - almost 4kgs. The one you've chosen is still quite heavy and bulky so if you're only going to be drilling a few holes in walls it might be worth looking for something less substantial. That said, I have one and I'm pleased with it for extra heavy duty work but I always turn to a lighter one for basic drilling (12mm or less).

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Get some bigger arms then, new year gym membership time ;)

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  19. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select