Uneven tiling - help/advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by HSJ, Jun 18, 2020.

1. HSJ

HSJ New Member

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice regarding some tiling work I had done a few weeks ago.

I had a kitchen backsplash tiled in a marble tile and the finish is not flush to the wall (see pics). Initially we had discussed having a herringbone pattern, but when he came to do the work advised me that this was not going to give a good finish (as small pieces needed to be cut) so I went with another pattern on his advice.

In honesty I'm feeling a bit embarrassed as the uneven tiling is only noticeable under direct lighting (which I had linked up after the tiler left). So I paid him and even left a positive review on checkatrade. I live alone and didn't have any experience with tiling so didn't really know what to expect. Now people are able to come round to my house they agree that the finish is unacceptable.

My question is - what do you think of this finish and what would be the best way to approach this with the tiler?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

The finish is awful. Even worse than a really inexperienced DIY job.
    The only cure for it is to rip it all off and start again.
    Before doing that, you could try changing the lighting so that it doesn't highlight the poor workmanship, but now that you've seen just how bad it is, you're never going to like your kitchen until it's sorted.
    I would call the tiler back (possibly even under the false pretence of more work), and show it to him with the lights on. Ask him whether he thinks it's acceptable or not. If he thinks it's OK, you might as well just walk him out before he does any more damage. If he appears even slightly embarrassed, you could try negotiating a discount/refund. I wouldn't have him try to rectify it as he'll probably cock it up even more.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is he aving a laf guv or a reject from a youth opportunity scheme. Could be that he did the 3 day Shabby Chic course at the Skill Centre :oops:.......and passed!

4. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

You can get tiles nowadays that give a 3D look, but don’t think it’s these ones. Just bad fitting particularly around sockets unfortunately.

5. HSJ

HSJ New Member

Thanks for your advice!

A silly question considering your feedback but this is definitely outside the acceptable lippage in your opinion!? Do you know what my rights are on this considering I had initially approved the work (it looks fine in natural light).

How would you handle a complaint like this after the fact? (...obviously forgetting the fact that you wouldn't do this to begin with!)

6. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

At this rate, 'Checkatrade' is going to get a bad reputation....

Call him back, tell him it's unacceptable and you want a refund. If he refuses, there's little you can really do,
    but make sure you give him wide 'publicity'. And try to amend your review.

Tiling, like good plastering, in spite of what people seem to think, is an art. I used to do tiling as part of my plumbing work, and I think mine
    was probably just about acceptable most of the time, but then I met a proper tiler (and plasterer) and I never laid another tile.

Tiles should look like a flat wall with grout lines marked on them. Anything else is bodging. Anyone who says 'oh, the grouting will tidy that up'
    or similar is a bodger.

Although it's difficult at the moment, your best bet will be to ask your neighbours if they've had some done that they're pleased with. Hopefully,
    you'll then get to meet an old chap with clapped out shoulders (fifty years of plastering does that) who will do a proper job for you.

7. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

This is absolutely dire, just to add to everyone's comments. It is so bad I initially thought it was some sort of 3D effect (as previously mentioned). It is so far out of "acceptable lippage" that I just cannot see how this "tiler" thought is was acceptable.

The only remedy is to remove the whole lot and do it again at the tiler's cost. May have to replace tiles and chop off existing adhesive. If he refuses or attempts to justify it tell him you will make a small claim, the photos are proof to anyone without even the smallest experience of building or decorating work. I would remove, or get removed, your review if possible.

This guy cannot be a tiler.

8. HSJ

HSJ New Member

Thanks again everyone.

I have already contacted checkatrade to ask for the review to be held until resolved.

He was actually a recommendation from a neighbour so I'm hopeful we can reach an agreement.

Muzungu likes this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As we all know, that is shockingly bad work and the guy who did is is not a professional tiler, no way on earth

He may say he does tiling but he’s not a tiler - end of

I’m sure this cost you a fair amount, what with tiles, materials and labour and now, to put right, the whole lot needs ripping off and starting from scratch - and that’s costly

Email or write to the ‘chancer’, polite but firm, attach pictures and state your concerns, invite him to come over and discuss face to face

You say you live alone, perhaps invite a friend, family member, work colleague over to not so much join the conversation but just to have someone else around for you. Have your mobile ‘convenient’ and record any conversation, face to face also !

The guy has no excuses for such poor work and should have been embarrassed to leave a job like that and then charge you

For you to have backup in case he argues and/or comes up with BS - take any relevant points from these posts so you can be prepared and counter balance any excuses and without being rude to you, gain a little tiling education (theory based) :)

I’m diy happy to admit but have done a fair bit of tiling. For that finish to happen, few common mistakes I can think of, with the necessary remedy that either a pro or competent diy’er would carry out;

Poor/uneven condition of wall prior to tiling -

Wall would be repaired or plaster skimmed or boarded over with plaster board or cement backer board. Minor fluctuations can be evened out by adjusting the depth of adhesive bed

Varying thickness of tile -

This is common with natural stone, marble, etc tiles and is adjusted by again varying depth of adhesive bed and setting tiles at correct depth and constantly checking with a spirit level / straight timber / across tile faces

If wall is fairly flat and in good condition, then the adhesive bed hasn’t been laid consistently using a notched trowel. This gives an uneven backing for tiles which can result in what you’ve got -

Remedy ...... rip them off

Sorry for long post, just trying to be helpful from a diy tiler perspective and to hopefully give you some background info so you have some backup against the likely forthcoming excuses

Really nasty situation and so terribly unfair but, difficult as you’ve paid (and left a glowing review) I don’t know anything on the legal standing - I’m sure others on here do though
    Good luck, keep us updated

By the way, what were the other reviews like ?

Unless you’ve asked and got ‘split tiles’ ????

HSJ likes this.
  10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Paid up, gave a good review, probably told him face to face what a great job he did.
    I cant see you getting anywhere with this tbh.
    How long did it take him and what did he charge?

11. HSJ

HSJ New Member

Thank you, this is extremely helpful advice!

12. HSJ

HSJ New Member

Hi, yes I do agree and lesson learnt not to review until all elements are completed. It took him two days and cost around £350 inc materials (excluding tiles)

wiggy likes this.
  13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Send him the pictures and ask him what he can do about it, don't point the finger, try and be polite, you just want him through the door atm. The grout and cement wouldn't be fully dry so he may be able to cut out the worst sections, clean the tiles and re lay. I know I have taken out single tiles in the past to retro fit things

Jord86 and Muzungu like this.