Uninsulated wires in loft?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by yorkshireboy, May 21, 2007.

1. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

Went to quote for boarding out a loft today and noticed all the lighting wires were singles with no outer insulation ie,the grey part.
    Can anyone advise if this was ever acceptable at any time or is it unsafe?

2. sysparks

sysparks New Member

Iv seen the old cable where the outer sheath is red too, so it looks like singles but is really double insulated

3. leepeth

leepeth New Member

I would say a big yes, that is very unsafe indeed. All you need is for a little nick to happen in it in a nice dimly lit loft and you have a nice old belt just waiting to happen...

Can't say that if it was ever allowed or not, but a lot of things used to be allowed that aren't anymore!

4. Sparky Mike

Sparky Mike New Member

I imagine there wasn't an earth present either? Quote for a re-wire and bring it back upto spec before it all gets covered over.

5. pcelectrics

pcelectrics New Member

Suggest to the customer that they should have the wiring inspected by a sparky.

In case they don't, then add some T&Cs to the contract that you are not responsible for any electrical faults aising after or during works. Also have the circuits isolated whilst you're working and use lights powered from a downstairs socket (or a neighbour).

Stay safe.

6. jumboscruit

jumboscruit New Member

Went up into a roof once where some of the wiring had its top-side insulation removed by rats, and you could clearly see all three copper conductors fully exposed.

Can't tell you what happened to rat, but needless to say, replaced all damaged wiring. "Rat-exclusion" zone now I believe.

Far as I can remember, its never been permissable to use single covered wiring anywhere, even in days when they used wooden casing and capping, and that WAS before my time!

Jumboscruit.