Unkinking Appliance Flex

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MadDesigner, Feb 10, 2004.

1. MadDesigner

MadDesigner Member

When one buys a new appliance the flex is usually bundled up tightly and secured with a wire tie. This results in a zig-zagged flex that is impossible to conceal neatly without it popping into sight unless it is secured.

Does any one have a good method of doing this (apart from leaving it for 3years to relax naturally!)?

2. GrahamB

GrahamB New Member

Stick it in a <u>warm</u> oven for a few minutes and then straighten it out by stroking with a cloth. Let us know how it works - I havn't tried it!

3. MadDesigner

MadDesigner Member

Hmmmmmm.......Don't think my new mains powered CO monitor would like that nor would our 28" telly fit in the oven ;)

Would soaking the flex in some boiling water do the trick? A bit loath to try this though I s'pose it should be OK, wouldn't it?

4. lastword

lastword New Member

Hairdrier

5. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Get out more.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

A good method of straightening cables and flex is to draw it through a tightly held rag or cloth, such as towelling or similar, several times. Try it, you will be amazed at how good this is...:)

7. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I've put it under tension (got 2 people to hold it straight) while passing a hairdryer along the length. The kinks soon come out. Just keep the hairdryer moving so you don't heat up one spot more than the rest.

8. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

bring back rubber flexes I say,cant beat 'em during a cold snap,best thing for extension leads!

9. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

actually to add to this as well,all my De-walt and Makita power tools have rubber flexes,would hate to have PVC on them on a cold frosty site morning!

10. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I have a length of very thick rubber covered lead plugged into an RCD socket in the kitchen. It goes through the top of the door frame & was fed through a length of hosepipe & clipped to a tensioned wire to the garage. It feeds a number of socket outlets in there including a light.
    I only use one tool at a time plus the light.
    I shouldn't have said this in the sparkies forum. Some might have a fit. ;)

11. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Very thick rubber eh? Naughty naughty!

Not kinky either I'll bet :)

12. Dewy

Dewy New Member

No kinks at all (lol) apart from where I made a kink to prevent rain running in.

13. GrahamB

GrahamB New Member

If the lead is attached to the appliance - as against a plug and socket lead - the hairdrier approach and 'stroking' with a cloth sounds good.

14. magsevern

magsevern New Member

GrahamB IT SOUNDS BLOODY GREAT

15. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Yeah! Especially the 'stroking' bit :)