Unoccupied Property UFH Drain Down?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by sinewave, Dec 12, 2014.

  1. sinewave

    sinewave Screwfix Select

    3 properties served by an ASHP feeding UFH are currently unoccupied and the landlord has been instructed by the Insurance Co to 'Drain Down' the properties.

    How far dya need to go re the underfloor heating circuits and how do you actually achieve a drain down on a flat system?

    Ta in advance! :D
  2. Crowsfoot

    Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

    Surely should have anti-freeze in the system already as the ASHP unit will be located on the outside. Checking the level of anti-freeze in the system would be a more logical requirement.l
  3. sinewave

    sinewave Screwfix Select

    Agreed but the insurance Co's stance is no water in the house = No risk of flood and hence no big claims.

    Rightly or wrongly this is what they are demanding so how would one remove water from a flat pipe UFH layout?

    Obviously 1st floor height will ensure this part drains via gravity as would a standard Radiator setup but what happens when the water levels out at ground floor level??

    Blow it out with a compressor?
  4. Pedantic idiots.

    Shoooorly the addition of anti-freeze, a de-pressurise of the system and the closing off of any actual rads would mean in the EXTREMELY unlikely event of a damaging freeze the most they get is a cup-full of water on their floor...

    But insurance co's aren't bothered about 'hassle', only protecting - themselves.
    FatHands likes this.
  5. Dave does Gas

    Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

    Suction wit a wet Hoover is the only way
  6. sinewave

    sinewave Screwfix Select

    Cheers Guys
  7. Ryluer

    Ryluer Well-Known Member

    Who covers the cost of re-commissioning the UFH loops?
    Once you de-commission the heating then the property becomes damp and décor will be damaged also.

    Who covers the cost of re decorating?

    The circulator/s will corrode and seize quicker also.
    Who covers the cost of replacing the seized circulators?

    UFH loops require specialist anti-biocidal inhibitors to be added to the system to prevent fungal growths.
    When the system is drained the fungal growths will accelerate 100 fold.

    Who pays for the expensive power flushing required when the system is re-commissioned?
    Specialist blending valves and zone valves also contain parts that can corrode when air is introduced to the system.
    Who pays for the damage caused to these valves?

    £2000 quid should all about cover it. Shall I send the bill to the insurance company or the guy meddling with the heating system?
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

Share This Page