Unplugging equipment.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by The Dormouse, May 23, 2008.

  1. The Dormouse

    The Dormouse New Member

    A local elderly lady died when she was overcome by fumes when her TV caught fire while it was left overnight on standby. The coroner recommended that people should pull out their mains plugs.

    I wonder if others agree that this is very bad advice, because although it‘s acceptable to turn equipment off at a wall switch, pulling out a 13amp plug every time equipment is not needed is asking for trouble & could even be counter-productive.

    Regular use could loosen connections in plugs & sockets, & the inevitable slow make/break action will cause arcing. This is made worse in the case of sockets installed low on a wall that are difficult to reach without wobbling the plug while it’s being removed or inserted..

    My elderly sister was persuaded to pull out her mains plugs at night, so her cordless phones stopped charging. They gradually went dead as she forgot to reconnect them in the mornings, making them useless as a nearby means of calling assistance in an emergency.
     
  2. Clark Kent

    Clark Kent New Member

    Quite often plugs/sockets are not readily accessible are they?


    But TV's still have a on/off button don't they?
     
  3. Well if they do my children don't know how to use it!!!
     
  4. Clark Kent

    Clark Kent New Member

    Well if they do my children don't know how to use
    it!!!






    Hardly surprising, is it..
     
  5. prosparks

    prosparks New Member

    Double pole sockets are good as it allows just the switch to isolate both poles.
    Still awkward to get to maybe.
    I never unplug anything, I must admit.

    In the even of local storm , its possible to get damaged gear tho
     
  6. sysparks

    sysparks New Member

    I would like to rewire my home and move mains to more accesible location.

    Then every night i would turn off the down skts and kitch skts mcb`s.

    But maybe im just tight!
     
  7. Mr. Handyandy

    Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

    Quite often plugs/sockets are not readily accessible
    are they?


    But TV's still have a on/off button don't they?




    Nah. A lot of 'em nowadays have one button. It's either ON or on STAND-BY. :(


    Mr. Handyandy - really
     
  8. fcu for the telly etc.
    :)
     
  9. Clark Kent

    Clark Kent New Member

    fcu for the telly etc.
    :)



    Or a remote..



     
  10. Coloumb

    Coloumb Screwfix Select

    I forgot to unplug my ace the other morning.

    Of course it went up in fumes.

    I still can't be aced to unplug it.

    Maybe that's why I'm so full of *...

    [Edited by: admin4]
     
  11. BIG LEROY

    BIG LEROY New Member

    I forgot to unplug my ace the other morning.

    Of course it went up in fumes.

    I still can't be aced to unplug it.

    > Maybe that's why I'm so full of *...

    [Edited by: admin4]

    Have you remembered to unplug your anal butt plug?
     
  12. Coloumb

    Coloumb Screwfix Select

    I can't believe admin4 made an edit to *

    I'm well scratching my head now...

    [Edited by: admin8]
     
  13. Coloumb

    Coloumb Screwfix Select

    I bet anal butt plug is left "as is".
     
  14. BIG LEROY

    BIG LEROY New Member

    I bet anal butt plug is left "as is".

    I see why you're in a good mood then :)
     
  15. MR DIAZ

    MR DIAZ Active Member

    You shouldn´t leave TV´s on standby



    Let alone over night.....




    As sad as it is, it´s her own fault
     
  16. The Dormouse

    The Dormouse New Member

    Maybe, but that's not really the point is it?. There should be a convenient way for the public to turn off equipment at night without having to go round pulling out plugs. We have health & safety legislation to deal with loads of other less important matters.
     
  17. MR DIAZ

    MR DIAZ Active Member

    Maybe, but that's not really the point is it?. There
    should be a convenient way for the public to turn off
    equipment at night without having to go round pulling
    out plugs.
    We have health & safety legislation to
    deal with loads of other less important matters.




    On my TV´s there´s a big switch on the front of it for this means
     
  18. Mr. Handyandy

    Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

    Maybe, but that's not really the point is it?. There
    should be a convenient way for the public to turn off
    equipment at night without having to go round pulling
    out plugs. We have health & safety legislation to
    deal with loads of other less important matters.




    Don't sockets have switches on them any more then ?



    Mr. Handyandy - really
     
  19. MR DIAZ

    MR DIAZ Active Member

    Good evening Andy
     
  20. JP.

    JP. Screwfix Select

    Sommething more to that TV stanby thing then meets the eye..

    1..On standby surely it is only the remote control switching circuit which is active active (IR switching)..a few mA at the most an all well protected.

    2..There are so many things which are on all the time..ie fax machines..cordless phones..this that and all protected by thermal fusing and variations of..

    Is is something to worry about on a general level?

    I don't think so.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice