Unpolished protector on stone tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Fizzyjim, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Fizzyjim

Fizzyjim New Member

Hi all,

should I use this on the back of my tiles as well as the front? Got a bit confused and did both. I know its meant to make them water and stain proof but have I made them less able to stick to the adhesive?!

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That’s a strange decision to use a tile sealer on the backs ..... just how bored was you ? :confused:

You really want the tile adhesive to form a strong and permanent bond with the tiles and you don’t want anything to interfere with this

If you’ve ever removed well applied tiles you will know that you loose part of the wall, plaster skim and sometimes backing coat/render, whilst this remains stuck to the tile

I would try sticking a spare tile with the adhesive your using and then try removing few days later

Also look up manufacturer of tile sealer, most companies have a technical help line so discuss with them

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think you would have been better to seal them after installation.

Would it give problems to the grout on the edges no sealing now?

4. Fizzyjim

Fizzyjim New Member

Thanks everyone! :-(

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Seal only the front surface as this is where the protection is required not the back.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020