Untanked bathroom tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Chai_wallah, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:58 PM.

1. Chai_wallah

Chai_wallah New Member

Hello, I have been reading through the forum and really wish I’d found this resource a couple of weeks ago!
    Our bathroom needed updating. We wanted to try to save money, do what we could and get help from the pros when necessary (I am an absolute amateur as will become apparent).
    I gutted the bathroom and had some pipes refitted. A friend then replastered the walls. I was going to get someone to partially tile around the bath/over bath shower and the floor as it seemed complicated. Found a tiler who was about to go on holiday. He installed the bath and told me if I wanted to get on with it all I had to do was add PVA to the walls then adhesive then carefully tile then grout.
    Then I found this forum. Turns out PVA is a no no. So I swapped for Bal primer. Applied this to the walls then adhesive then tile. No grout yet.
    Now I realise that best practice would be to waterproof the area before tiling. Do I need to pull it all down and start again with waterproof kit, backer board, adhesive the. tile or will the current set up last?
    Really sorry for the long intro. Any advice gratefully recieved...thanks

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

You've gone so far that you might as well finish it off with the grout and grout sealer.
    If it fails in a few years time, then you're back to ripping it all off and starting again. However, if you do a good job of grouting and then apply several coats of grout sealer, the chances are that minimal water will make its way behind the tiles.
    FWIW, I did exactly what you did 29 years ago, and the bathroom tiles are still as good as the day I installed them. The shower is used a few times a day by various people, and very seldom dries out completely, yet everything seems fine. I guess I must have done a really good job of grouting and I must have used a really good grout!

3. Chai_wallah

Chai_wallah New Member

Thank you for taking the time to read my ramble and for replying. Did you leave the grout a couple of weeks to set before showering?

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Well-Known Member

I thought most grout these days were waterproof. Tiler here used Mapei grout I think (Ultracolour plus), which I'm told is waterproof. Blurb says "water repellent".

5. rogerk101

You need to leave the grout a couple of weeks before applying the grout sealer. The grout sealer works by penetrating the grout, so the drier the grout, the better it will penetrate. If the grout still contains water left over from when it was applied, then this will reduce the amount of grout sealer that it can absorb.

6. rogerk101

I've used Mapei's so-called waterproof grouts a few times. Each time I left them for a few weeks to dry out thoroughly. I then tried applying the grout sealer and the grout soaked up 3 good coats of grout sealer before it said it had had enough (which it only does when it stops absorbing any more).

7. longboat

longboat Well-Known Member

I really wouldn't worry about it. Wet areas in bathrooms and showers have been done like this for decades and as long as it's done correctly it will last for decades.
    If water is getting past the tiles/grout/sealant then you have a problem regardless of what the tiles are adhered to.

You've said you applied primer to the walls, which is a good start but what adhesive did you use, bagged or ready mixed?

8. Chai_wallah

Chai_wallah New Member

Thanks. It was the water repellent bit that made wonder and see what people with more experience than I have had to say...

9. Chai_wallah

Chai_wallah New Member

Thanks for the reply. I used bagged flexi adhesive. I plan to silicone the seams where tile meets tile at the inner corners, where tile meets (sealed/painted) plaster at the ceiling, and where tile meets the bath. I was banging on the tiles when I got in tonight and one or two sound a bit hollow, but the rest sound solid.

10. Chai_wallah

Chai_wallah New Member

Thanks again RogerK101. I'll make sure the kids don't splash in the bath this weekend when they get back!