Unusual Washer Valve for Tap (Twyfords Barbican Sink)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jimbo, May 23, 2021.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I need to replace a pair of tap valves. They are quite unusual and any help sourcing something close-enough would be very much appreciated.

I descaled the valve hence the copper deposition...

Many thanks!

Washer-Valve.jpg

RickB likes this.
  2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Are they beyond repairing? Older ones like these are usually well made and can be stripped, cleaned, greased, rewashered and reused.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  3. That’s the way I would go too

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Thanks both. Wire wheel on bench grinder to clean them up? Inside needs a good clean too, not sure what to use on that.

Shaft is 9.3mm and the o-ring outside diameter 14.3mm - I suppose imperial, but a 9m/14m o-ring do the job?

5. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Wire wheel on a grinder sounds too fierce for the brass. I’d try an old toothbrush. Then plumbers grease on the innards.

What does the actual tap look like - just curious.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Strip and clean - no wire brushes or grinders just a toothbrush and water with maybe some citric acid crystals to shift stubborn build ups. Maybe a small triangular Swiss file to clean out the threads. I would not worry about the colour change either, al that has happened is the descaler has taken a microscopic layer off, and the copper has returned whereas the zinc has not - I always use citric acid crystals to descale, it is the main constituent of a lot of commercial products, but way cheaper.

New O-rings, washers and grease where needed, reassemble.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Thank you - any idea which o-rings? I ordered 9mm/14mm but they are not quite big enough to protrude.

9. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

10. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Do they need changing. Is water leaking up the sides of the spindle?

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  11. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Yes, and v.stiff

12. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

The stiffness will be the worm drive inside. Cleaning and greasing should sort that.

I wonder if the gland nut directly below the splines would come off to allow packing to be put in around the the spindle like on a stop tap. That could stop the leaks without changing o rings.

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Thanks, what did you mean by 'packing'? Please forgive my uselessness!

The other problem is that the body needs a fibre washer, one of which is missing (hence 96 turns of PTFE being on it when removed). ID 25.4mm, OD 30mm. Presumably these would also need to be done up with some paste to hold them solid - would LSX do?

14. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Packing: take a length of ptfe tape - about 9” - and twist to make into a string. This is wrapped around the spindle and pushed down the gap between the spindle and tap body, a few turns at a time, before the gland nut is refitted.

Jimbo likes this.
  15. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Re fibre washer: bound to be available online or try an old fashioned plumbers merchant. As it’s 1” internal you should be ok.

Jimbo likes this.
  16. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Finally got the valves cleaned up and refitted.

For the benefit of the search - probably me in about 10 years time - the fibre washers are 1” (30mm/24mm/2mm), and the o-rings are 9.19mmx14.43mmx2.62mm nitrite (9/14mm leaked).

FC98E7CE-1DDB-442D-BE74-A619D1E04A8C.jpeg

Greased with Black Swan SG2 and all seems to be well.

17. Good job

18. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Looks nice. Well done.

19. RickB

RickB New Member

Thank you so much for this post and the work you put in to finding out the correct washers. On the back of your hard work I ordered all the right washers, descaled both valves and rebuilt them. Both work brilliantly after literally years of not working correctly! Thank you! Rick

Jimbo likes this.
  20. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

@RickB - glad this helped. I should also mentioned, the nozzle was pretty blocked with limescale on mine, and since it's very much stuck in place now I was able to restore the flow by running Oust kettle descaler through it by removing the top handle and pouring it through (repeatedly) using a funnel with a flexible hose and a cloth to create an approximate seal. A bit messy, but did the job.

I also found that the replacement tap washers started to pass again after a few months, so reseated them (basically smoothing the flat brass surface against which they close) using a monument 455e tap reseating tool, turned via cordless drill fast but very lightly. And this seems to have solved that problem too.

Hope that helps.