Unvented hot water, but no gas...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Dec 8, 2018.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Never encountered this before, but hear it's not uncommon.

I'm in a flat, there's little room for head, so water pressure relies on a pump, which is now dead.

Seeing as I'm looking at £300 to replace it with a decent on, I started wondering about going over to mains pressure, but I'm electric only.

I'm a decent plumber, loads of experience with pipework, central heating etc, but I've not done unvented before.

Am I right in thinking that it needs certification and can't really be done DIY?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Correct ,G3 qualification required.
    Why not just replace the pump ,miles cheaper than any conversion .

3. BiancoTheGiraffe

Out of interest, any idea why the need for certification?

Obviously I appreciate that heating water in a sealed system requires caution and care, but it's not THAT dangerous...

Is it just another of those schemes like Part P which do nothing useful and just make the authorities money?

4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

If done incorrectly the system is a potential bomb as it under high pressure.

5. BiancoTheGiraffe

Of course I understand that, but there are far more dangerous things which someone could do in their home that are equally, if not more dangerous

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    If i recall correctly, it’s only a one day course, so may be a good idea, to improve your qualifications for the benefit of your future Plumbing career?

Just a thought,

Another feather in your quiver, as they say

Good luck

Peter

7. Gasman73

Gasman73 New Member

If you haven't got a plumbing background you can't do the unvented course
    Installing unvented requires planning approval

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Not sure it require planning approval as such.

What is required is that the building control department is informed of it being fitted, this is often done by the cylinder manufacturer as part of their warranty process.

9. Gasman73

Gasman73 New Member

Building regs approval I think it was planning at the start in the middle 80's