Unvented Hot Water Cylinder - Certificate of Instalation

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jason200, May 1, 2018.

1. Jason200

Jason200 New Member

Hello Gentlemen

I am looking for a little advice.

I am looking to have a Megaflo Unvented Direct Hot water cylinder installed. I understand that this needs to be installed by a plumber with a current G3 qualification.

So here's what I need a little help with:

1 Apart from taking a plumbers word, how do I know that a plumber has a current G3 qualification?

2 What is current for a G3 qualification; 1 year, 2 year, 3 year......more?

3 Should I recieve my G3 certificate on the day of instalation, ie is this a certificate that the plumber can write out and issue on the spot?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plumber should have a (BPEC) Unvented G3 certificate & ID card,valid for 5 years I think.

3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Plumbers name and unvented registration number should be on the unvented certificate.
    The qualification is for 5 years until it has to be redone.
    I currently have no ID card, but have the qualification and paperwork to prove it, but probably that is unusual and your plumber will have ID card

just pumps likes this.
  4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I've literally just had a boiler and unvented tank fitted, finished on Sat last weekend.

The Heating engineer took great pride in showing me all his qualifications to be able to do the job.

The only one out of 3 who quoted I may add.

When finished he filled out the back of the booklets that came with both boiler and tank with all his details and registered both with the manufactor.

Both are Ideal Logic if that matters.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nice touch,I wouldn't hesitate in recommending someone like to others, if his quailty of workmanship was good.:)

6. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Quality not a problem.

A couple of routes for pipes left a bit to be desired, but I soon pointed out his errors, as in "I hope your not thinking of putting that pipe there are you" he got the message. :D

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sometimes, you over look a obvious route for a pipe,we all done it.:oops::rolleyes:

8. Jason200

Jason200 New Member

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your help.

I spoke to BPEC today and they advised that I need a plumber who is registered with a competent persons scheme. The competent persons scheme will provide the plumber an ID card which will detail the competencies that plumber has. ie if a plumber is registered with APHC, and he has a current G3 qualification, then his APHC ID card will show "unvented hot water systems".

However neither BPEC nor APHC could tell me what type of installation certificate I should receive or at what stage during the job, I would receive it

Does filling in the back of the booklet, that comes with both boiler, constitute a certificate that can be given to Building Control? Or should I receive a generic certificate; the type you get from an electrician after an electrical installation job?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

ID Card.

[​IMG]

10. Charles horder

Charles horder New Member

11. Charles horder

Charles horder New Member

Can you recommend your plumber please I live in South East London, thx