Up down light to ring flood light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Was123, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Was123

Was123 New Member

Hi all,

I need some advice. In my garden I have an up-down outdoor wall light, roughly a few inches below the ground floor window top. I want to install a ring flood light cam in the garden but it will look daft/impractical at that level.

I'm reluctant to use conduit and a wiska box (or something similar) as it will be very visible (roughly in the centre of the house and would start rather at a low level. Also, an intruder could easily disable the cam by damaging the conduit or cable at that level. If I spur from a first floor light or plug (obvs fused down) it would be too high/inaccessible without getting a ladder out etc. There is a solid wall behind the exterior wall that the light will sit on so it would mean a lot of chasing, plastering etc. just for outdoor flood light.

Any ideas of any alternative solutions?

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

When my mother started to have problems we installed a PET cam, it connected to wifi so only required power, I am sure there are out door versions.

However one minute you say
    then you say
    You can't have it both ways, if you think an intruder would damage the cable it would have to be installed higher than you can reach without a ladder.

My method was to move and live in a small town (really a village) in Mid Wales, where the biggest problem is delivery men leaving parcels at wrong door, so face book filled with pictures of doors, with any idea who's is this door.

Problem is we tend to translate for the English, so we will say we live in Green Field area, but signs are in Welsh so say Maes Glas (literal translation is blue field).

And delivery men seem to press the bell and run, so by time we answer the door just a parcel with no one there. They must be fitter than me, it's a steep drive.

If it is really that bad of an area then mineral insulated cable can be often hidden in the mortar, but needs a professional install. But if the visitor is likely to damage conduit, then clearly they can damage anything else, I would use steel conduit to protect from vehicle damage never mind intruder damage.

3. Cris 11

Cris 11 Active Member

If the camera is too high all it will see is the top of intruders head, I did that and had to re site them I think most intruders would see the camera and go somewhere else in case there are more camera’s.

My camera’s are set just in reach on tip toe and nobody has touched them because to get to them you would have already been recoded so too late to disable them.

4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

You say it would look daft at the same level as the original light, but the ring floodlight is effectively just a larger version of what you already have. Or was the intention to to keep the original light?

5. Was123

Was123 New Member

Sorry, maybe I didn’t explain properly.

I was looking at having the ring flood light cam somewhere in between the current position of the up down light (currently at a few inches below the top of the ground window frame) and super high (whereby I would need HUGE ladder to access it).

Ring recommends a mounting height of 9ft/2.7m.

Two options:

1) to move the feed up use wiska box and conduit
    2) keep the feed where it is and have a low mounting floodlight
    3) rechase a new spur from a socket or light internally to the new planned mounting point

I’m wondering if there’s any other alternatives other than the above 3.

6. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Can you lean out of an upstairs window to fit/maintain it - after doing a health and safety risk assessment?

7. Was123

Was123 New Member

Potentially yes, I might just do that and plug it into a socket with a 3 amp fuse, socket is on a ring and is RCD protected...