update for r2d2,water sys and jimbo

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jonob, Feb 8, 2007.

1. jonob

jonob Member

re excessive gas use

had bg round and they have done all the tests on boiler

its burning correctly , its modulating correctly

he says its impossible for the boiler to burn so much gas on the load its working at

you couldnt leak that much , he says :)

so getting a meter test - its the only other option so bg says

but when i rung my energy supplier to ask for a meter test they were extreamly snotty - even though i have to pay its £75

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

How old is the meter? Has to be changed by supplier every ten years iirc.

I'd write them a letter about it, stating that you're happy to pay the £75 charge but if gas use returns to normal you will expect full refund and will reduce the amount owed over the suspect period by the same %age.

It's such an enormous amount of gas for a domestic property, I can't see you'll have much problem?

3. jonob

jonob Member

meter is only 6 months old

paid £144 bg call out and told them if meter is proved to be faulty then i expect £144 + £75 back

good thing is as soon as they put a new meter in i will know straight away if old one was faulty , as per readings on the new one !

4. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

meter is only 6 months old

paid £144 bg call out and told them if meter is
    proved to be faulty then i expect £144 + £75 back

good thing is as soon as they put a new meter in i
    will know straight away if old one was faulty , as
    per readings on the new one !

<u>If they are wrong they pay.</u> That has always been the case even when the superior Gas Board was running things.

5. doitall

doitall New Member

And if you had bothered to do the simply 2min test I ask for at the very start of your 1st thread, it would have answered the question.

6. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

its burning correctly , its modulating correctly

So can you drop the flow temperature by using the boiler controls alone ???
    What was the corgi guys view on this ??.

7. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

Potterton confirmed that their is NO CH flow temperature control on this boiler.
    So it has to be fitted separately.

8. jonob

jonob Member

apparently this type of boiler modulates it self and adjusts the flow temp its self

corgi guy says its doing this correctly

from potterton book " to suit conventional rad systems the boiler will output a flow temp of 80 deg ,the boiler control will automatically repsond to lower central heating needs by reducing output - thus saving wasteful on-off cycling "

its here on page 7

http://www.potterton.co.uk/products/literature/PowermaxHE_InstallationService.pdf

thanks so far

doitall - whats your verdict then ?

9. jonob

jonob Member

if i turn off ufh and run rads only (all on trvs)

or run ufh only

or run both together the consumption fo gas is the same ?

10. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

apparently this type of boiler modulates it self and adjusts the flow temp its self

By modulating the burner down to maintain 80c flow or slightly lower to prevent the overheat stat locking out the boiler as the return temperature rises.
    Their is NO <u>basic</u> flow control fitted on the control panel to prevent the flow temperaure reaching 80c and the tech guy I spoke to at Potterton confirmed this.

11. jonob

jonob Member

what would you reccomend that i need then ?

surely if i run the rads only the trvs will control the temp

the boiler has a sensor to check the temp of the flow and return temp of the ch

these are working correctly - the corgi guy checked

do i just need a room stat connected to the boiler

how will this control the ch flow temp

i thought these boilers were the best type available at present ?

ie ones that modulate

12. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

The modulation allows the boiler to control the flame size to ensure the flow temp is maintained at the set point.

Traditionally, boilers thermostats had a large hysteresis which means the boiler heats the water to (say) 75*C, switches off the burne, then switches it back on again when the temp is (say) 65*C. Modulation allows a steadier flow temp.

What is the model of the boiler?

13. jonob

jonob Member

thanks jimbo

the user guide for the boiler is on this page its a pdf file see post further up to r2d2

should the boiler modulate and control the ch temp acording to the load

the corgi guy says so

he says its impossible to use that amount of gas

see page 7 on user guide

im off out now till late tonight will be in touch later

thanks so far

you seem knowledgable on boilers ;):)

if i turn of ufh and run rads only there are all on trvs the use is the same (gas wise )

14. jonob

jonob Member

im happy for flow temp to be at 80 deg for rads

but once at 80deg it should use hardly any gas at all

according to corgi boy

but once at 80 deg its still doing 1 cu mtr/hour

15. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

what would you reccomend that i need then ?

surely if i run the rads only the trvs will control
    the temp

the boiler has a sensor to check the temp of the flow
    and return temp of the ch

these are working correctly - the corgi guy checked

do i just need a room stat connected to the boiler

how will this control the ch flow temp

i thought these boilers were the best type available
    at present ?

ie ones that modulate

There is no "control interlock" between the zones and the boiler. It needs one, the regs say.

You have a primary loop from the boiler. The two UFH zones and a rad zone are taken off. If all TRVs modulate down and UFH on those zones are not calling for heat the boiler is pumping on nothing. You need as a bare minimum an auto by-pass valve between the flow and return pipe at the boiler (is one integral to the boiler?)

Fitting a flow switch on the primary loop can switch out the burner/pump. When no flow the boiler is off. When a UFH manifold calls for heat the valve opens and there will be flow in the primary loop. This will activate the flow switch and bring in the boiler/pump circulating around the primary loop.

On the rad CH loop have Grundfos Alpha auto speed pump. When the TRVs are down there will be no flow and pump winds down. When the TRVs open there is flow, and the flow switch is switched on and the boiler burner/pump is switched in.

Then you can have a timeclock for each zone (two UFH and one rads) No need to switch the boiler as the flow switch does that. The boiler automatically is brought in and out if a zone calls for heat. No call it say out.

The boiler modulates the burner to suit the demands on the primary loop. The UFH zones should not get over hot as they have their own controls. However I would have a high limit stat on each UFH zone to cut out the boiler or UFH pump if water over 50 to 55C enters the loop - this protects the plastic pipe.

Even so I doubt this is the real reason for the excessive fuel usage.

The floor needs to have foam insulation under (enough of it too) and to the sides up the wall to screed level - like a tray. Most don't do the sides of the slab and this is a major cause of flanking heat loss. You may be heating the ground.

16. jonob

jonob Member

thanks water systems

yes the boiler has an auto bypass built in

the corgi guy said these boilers are most efficent if they are permantly on

they will cycle and modulate themselves

is that correct, as he was corgi i took it that he was correct

this is what i have under floor insulation its 75mm

http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/output/products/page272.html

can anyone explain why if i turn off ufh and run rads only the consumption is still approx 1 cu mtr /hr a;; rads have trvs

17. jonob

jonob Member

sorry forgot to mention dont have that insulation up walls to screed level, have a thinner 10mm that was supplied with the ufh kit

18. jonob

jonob Member

have just turned off the ch and run dhw for 1 hour on its own

the water was cold to start with and in 1 hour its used 2cu mtr gas - its a 150l tank

does this still sound excessive

the input to hw/ch is 7.8w - 25.8 kw

19. jonob

jonob Member

r2d2 my user guide from nu-heat

says set boiler to max output and cylinder stat to 55 deg

boiler pump on speed 3 and ch pump on speed 3

ive done all this its what i cant understand

20. doitall

doitall New Member

21Kw to heat a cylinder is excessive, what temperature did you start and finish with.

Repeat again.

How much gas in 2mins on full load :(