Updates slow when applying filters?

Discussion in 'Screwfix Live' started by fred812, Feb 8, 2021.

1. fred812

fred812 Active Member

Anyone find that sometimes the updating of the product list when applying filters is annoyingly slow sometimes? Pretty sure its not my devices because sometimes its fine.

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

It’s not your device for sure. Pages can be filtered at server or client side but with large amounts of data or lots of pics, it’s better done on server side.

3. fred812

fred812 Active Member

Thanks. So what determines whether the work is done server side or on the device?

But anyway nice that you think its not my device. Its just that before I start browsing products I like to eliminate as much as I can, but this does have a downside in that it can take several minutes to setup if you want to apply a few filters.

4. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

The decision is down to the designer or coder and based on the number and size of data elements. Grossly simplified explanation is , where the data is small or largely textual, you can send the entire data set across allowing local filtering. When you have pictures, especially multiple sets for each of the data elements, it’s better to construct the filtered web page and send it across. You can try a mix too.