Updating a staircase - offset banister??

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jonesy127, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Jonesy127

Jonesy127 New Member

We have a typical 1960s/70s staircase that we want to update. The hope is to do this is as cheaply and easily as possible.

More than just a lick of paint, we're thinking keep the current newel post, and replace the horizontal 'plank' with a new banister and spindles.

One headache we have though, is that the strings (the part I assume a new baserail would sit on) is is not central with the newel post.

The string is also narrow (approx. 28mm wide).

Are we going to keep the newel posts, and fit a new bansiter and spindles? Will the banister look off being offset?

Thoughts please. WP_20170110_18_57_17_Pro.jpg WP_20170110_18_56_22_Pro.jpg WP_20170110_18_57_36_Pro.jpg WP_20170110_18_57_51_Pro.jpg

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

You could cut some 18/25mm ply and stick it to the stringer and edge the top, or you could just run some 25 x 75 ?? planned timber up the stringer and edge the top, or get longer spindles stick them to the side of the stringer and run them up to the handrail ???

CGN likes this.
  3. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I would add stripwood to the top edge of the string to give the baserail more to sit on. Once the baserail is in you will forget about the string being on the wonk.

CGN likes this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

12 or 15mm mdf, whichever when fixed onto the side of your string centralizes the newel post, cut to the shape required and glue and pin on. Fit a 25mm timber 'L' trim to mask the cut edge on the underside, then paint. If choosing turned spindles you'll have to cut the existing newel posts off leaving about 8inches, drill centre out and insert the new turned newel's spigot into the hole with plenty of glue. If keeping the newels as they are :confused: I'd get hold of a router and put a stopped chamfer on your posts, and add newel caps to the tops. Once painted, they'll have a new lease of life. I'm a fan of white newels, white baserail, white spindles, but solid ash or oak (ash I prefer by far, absolutely stunning) handrails. For the initial downside of extra cost, the results far outweigh any grumblings of price.

vivaro man likes this.
  5. Jonesy127

Jonesy127 New Member

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear it shouldn't be too onerous.

As we are; that's just the look we were hoping to achieve.