Upvc casement window glass replacement - too small?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by G9_, Aug 28, 2020.

?

Would you pay for this?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. G9_

G9_ New Member

Hi all,

Had the glass replaced in my bathroom casement window by a professional window fitter who tells me that the installation is a success and that the "cosmetic" appearance does not effect the performance of the window and that the window itself is an top quality acoustic glass, silicone bonded with a swiss spacer.

I'm not a professional but the glass clearly looks too small, I can clearly see the aluminum spacer (I'm sure this is not a swiss spacer), I can see black tape along the top edge and I'm convinced that it will not perform as well as properly installed glass with the swiss spacer technology.

Can you guys let me know your opinion? If a professional window fitter can confirm on the spacer question that would be great!

Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard to tell in the photo - but that's tape running along the top edge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Don’t pay

not measured correctly. Installer needs to try again.

swiss technology or not it don’t matter if it’s the wrong size which it is

3. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

+1
    Also noticed beading not replaced satisfactorily,

Attached Files:

gadget man, G9_ and Muzungu like this.
  4. G9_

G9_ New Member

Thanks JonathanC - would you think it is a swiss spacer or just aluminium?

5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    G9_ likes this.
  6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

No idea whether Swiss or not but it don’t fit.

I’m now on to replacing my third sealed unit here and trust me I would not do the job myself like that. It’s worse than amateurish

gadget man and G9_ like this.
  7. Hi,

Had the glass replaced in my bathroom casement window by a professional window fitter who tells me that the installation is a success and that the "cosmetic" appearance does not effect the performance of the window and that the window itself is an top quality acoustic glass, silicone bonded with a swiss spacer.

I'm not a professional but the glass clearly looks too small, I can clearly see the aluminum spacer (I'm sure this is not a swiss spacer), I can see black tape along the top edge and I'm convinced that it will not perform as well as properly installed glass with the swiss spacer technology.

Can you guys let me know your opinion? If a professional window fitter can confirm on the spacer question that would be great!

8. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

I hope my glass fitter does a better job on my replacement today, mines not swiss, its bog standard spacer same as OP, could have done this myself but I never replaced one before.

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It’s a 3.5 year old thread and the poster above you is a bot, or troll.

10. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

Not again, ***, I'm going back to lurking, cant be a*sed with bots and trolls !

11. Tantalus

Tantalus New Member

My family business manufactures double glazed units.

That unit is too small, that's not "acoustic glass", DGU's aren't bonded with silicone and that is an aluminium spacer bar.

What you want is a 4/20/4 (guessing the spacer bar size from the images it might be 4/16/4), Low E Glass, Stippolyte Glass and a Warm Edge Spacer Bar. You could also have the unit gas filled for additional insulation.

Tell the tradesman to come and sort it out and call him out on his ********!