UPVC door deadbolt not retracting

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by JimenezDIY, Dec 14, 2022.

1. JimenezDIY

JimenezDIY New Member

Hi

Anyone know why the door handle on my UPVC door might be sticking/extremely stiff and why the deadbolt won't retract?

When I push the handle down it moves a fraction then won't go any further. If I force it then handle goes down and pulls the deadbolt back in but it feels like the handle is going to snap off. It doesn't matter if the door is closed or open.

When the door is open and I push the handle down, if I push the dead bolt back in the handle goes down nice and smoothly. But obviously I can't do that when the door is closed.

I guess it's due to the cold weather, but I've no idea how to fix it. I may need to oil it or use graphite powder but no idea where to put it!

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks

2. Ross Curtis

Ross Curtis Member

May well be you've got a bent or sheared rod in the locking strip somewhere, or the gearbox is getting badly worn out. It may just need lubricating.

I'd whip out the barrel, remove the locking strip and see what's going on - if the mechanism dies when it's shut it can be one hell of a fight to get it open and replace it.

3. JimenezDIY

JimenezDIY New Member

Thanks for your reply Ross! I'm a huge novice to all of this. Do you reckon I should call a locksmith? ‍

4. dray

dray Screwfix Select

Before you take it apart or call a locksmith, I would at least try to lubricate the hooks and pins on the side. You have nothing to lose, use GT85 or other silicone spray but not wd40 and spray a little on the protruding hooks and pins sticking out of the handle edge of the door. If that makes it smoother then lubricate a lot more with the door open, keep operating the lock and handle so it works right into the those hooks and pins. (these are the bits that lock into the doorframe).
    Hope that works and saves you some money.

5. JimenezDIY

JimenezDIY New Member

Thanks for your reply Dray! I heeded your advice and got some silicone spray, then tried to open the door and the handle pretty much snapped. Then couldn't open the door. So I made the call to the locksmith :/

6. dray

dray Screwfix Select

Sod's law that would happen when you might have a solution all ready to go. Hope you get it sorted with the locksmith, let us know what the problem was in the end.