uPVC door frame loose

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mcvicar, Jul 5, 2012.

1. mcvicar

mcvicar New Member

Hi there, I have noticed there is a crack in the plaster running down the side of our uPVC door frame - I suspect the screws into the brick work have come a bit loose over time with the door slamming occasinally etc. From what I have read (and being a bit of a novice DIY-er), am I safe to assume I can drill new holes in the frame into the brickwork and screw in new screws using something like http://www.screwfix.com/p/frame-fixings-8-x-120mm-pack-of-10/17480?_requestid=986859

I have read talk of using foam but I don't think I can really do this as the frame is not sufficiently loose to get behind, it bends slightly if you put pressure on it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Have you thought about tightening the existing fixings ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

You really want 10mm fixings for a door.

You need to get down the side of the door frame to insert packers, else you'll just distort the frame when you tighten them up.

4. mcvicar

mcvicar New Member

Yes I did try this with varying degrees of success - some tightened up whilst others did not, they just kept turning. Some of the screw heads are already all of the way in whilst others are not - I guess this just shows how far some have gone into the brickwork as we have other doors that also have screws not all the way into the hole and they are fine. If I tighten them now some of them I can hear grinding against the brickwork.

5. mcvicar

mcvicar New Member

Thanks - that sounds like a bit of a nightmare though - would have to chisel away all the plaster around the frame and re-apply afterwards.

6. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

Why can't you get at it from the outside?

7. mcvicar

mcvicar New Member

Well, again its all cemented in place.

Assuming the existing 4 screws on that side all have packers, would these not prevent the frame from distorting if I just added some more?

(For my own info here I assume these packers go between the frame and the masonry - does the screw need to go through them?)

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It is possible of course, that the packers have fallen down. Some fitters will put the packer just above the screw and tighten the screw.

These can fall if not fixed with silicone when seaming up.

If you are going to put new fixings in, don't rely on packers that may or may not be there!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really