Upvc door issue

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Stemck13, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Stemck13

Stemck13 New Member

I have seen quite a few door issues on here but can't find a relevant problem.
    My upvc door handle wont pull up (without a few mins of force) so I can lock the door. This is also the case when the door is open. I have seen some videos on YouTube but all of them doors have a metal strip along the edge of the door. Mine is just plastic down the edge with holes for the bolts etc to come through.
    Do I need to call a locksmith or can I sort it myself?

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Ok

Have the door open and keep it open Try to lift the handle and turn the key to lock. If it works then the gearbox/lock is fine. If not its the gearbox/lock.

If it only wont work when the door is in the closed position then its more than likely the keep on the frame to adjust

KIAB likes this.
  3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Stick up some pics or even better a vid of the issue.

4. Stemck13

Stemck13 New Member

I have took a vid. How do I post that?

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

That I cant puzzle out!

Stemck13 likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Stick the vid on YouTube or the like and post link.

7. Stemck13

Stemck13 New Member

I couldn't do the vid. Here's a pic of door. It is ridiculously tough to get it up (the handle!!! Ha)

Attached Files:

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Ok. So if its difficult to "ahem" get it up when the door is open it most likely will be the gearbox.

Its up to you. Swapping it is a reasonably easy job, but you will need to identify the gearbox and then order it. That involves taking it out.

If you got someone to do it it shouldnt really cost more that £100 all in.

9. Stemck13

Stemck13 New Member

£100??!! Who do u think I am? Simon Cowell?? Lol I need front door lock changing anyway. If i get locksmith to change both locks would that fix it??? And if so ball park price? Thanks v much

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Is it just the lock barrel to change on the front door? Is it a upvc/composite door?

If so change it yourself. Its a very easy switch.

11. Stemck13

Stemck13 New Member

The back door has the issue. Front door I want to change the lock cos someone has a key that I don't want to have access. So I might, in the interest of saving time and the fact il probably have to call someone to put my botch job right, call a locksmith and get a quote on both jobs.
    Thanks golden boy

12. Nature Creature

Nature Creature New Member

Always try WD40, just try to lift the handle with the door open wile spraying all the hook and rollers. Does it lift when the door is open?
    If so then the door has probably dropped and the bolt/hooks, etc aren't lining up with the keep side in the door frame.
    If this is the case your door will have hinges with allen key adjusters, find an allen/hex key that fits and adjust the bottom hinge to push out the the door slightly, this often lines the door up again.

Don't pay a locksmith to change your cylinder on the front door. On your picture of the back door at the very bottom you can see a screw, if this lines up with the cylinder then it is the retaining screw, put your key in the door, take out the screw, push the cylinder with your finger while turning the key and the cylinder will slide out.
    The cylinder has two shafts divided by a little black cam measure these (the cam is always 10mm, so measurements might be 45/10/50 for example), go to any hardware shop and ask for a Euro cylider with those measurements ant you'll be looking at £5-15.

13. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Never use WD40 on door locks or locking mechs! Has the tendancy to attract more dirt&cause more problems. Use a dry lubricant with PTFE.

dinkydo likes this.
  14. Stemck13

Stemck13 New Member

Locksmith said the whole side needs changing 150quid. I’ve told him I will let him know.