UPVC French Door Seal Issue

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Dion9, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Dion9

Dion9 New Member

Hi folks,

I'm hoping you can help, please.

I bought a house last year that needs a fair bit of work doing to it. One of the jobs I'm trying to tackle is the french doors. They have large gaps (top and bottom, middle is fine) where the main door meets the door that has the mullion(?) attached to it.

The hinges are flag (I think!) and I read somewhere that you should be able to adjust vertically, compression and up / down. I can move the door vertically, however, the hex slot underneath seems to work the compression (shouldn't this be up and down?), but when I take the top cap off, there's no hex hole for me to be able to turn. Confused :(

Anyway, I've posted a picture that someone will hopefully be able to see what I mean. Any help would be very gratefully received. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

The plates top and bottom of the frame have parts missing. You can see that as there is an empty screw hole in each.

Replace them but I wonder why Someone removed them????

3. Dion9

Dion9 New Member

Cheers @jonathanc but there is nothing underneath the holes for anything to screw into. Having played around with the doors, I'm guessing that the shootbolt keeps near the mullion might not be aligned to pull the doors tighter together. I've tried unscrewing the one at the bottom but I'm in danger of knackering the screwheads as they're that tight. Are these designed to be able to move either away from the frame or towards, depending if you want to get a tighter fit where the door handle is? Cheers.
    [​IMG]

4. Utterchaos

Utterchaos New Member

Did you solve this I have same problem on one door

Thanks

5. Dion9

Dion9 New Member

No, sorry @Utterchaos, it's still like it. I've absolutely no idea what to do next. As a temporary measure, I've got some insulating foam strip and ran it down the main opening door with it butting up against the mullion. It looks pathetic but, at least for now, it seems to be holding most of the draught off. If I do get an answer from elsewhere, I'll be sure to post it on here.