upvc handle won't close, help!

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by JayDIY, Feb 18, 2018.

1. JayDIY

JayDIY New Member

hello there - i have just replaced a faulty fire hinge on my upvc window, that was letting draughts in. i replaced it with a similar 17mm Yale hinge, 1st and 3rd screw holes aligned, the middle needed drilling as placements were different.

the back of both hinges are flush to the wall, the window closes with a little catching (i.e - it isn't completely smooth), but it closes and the gap left by the faulty hinge is gone.

my only issue is, i cannot close the handle downwards once the window is shut. when i try to engage the locking mechanism, it seems to be catching but I'm not sure why. i've attempted to recalibrate the positioning of the hinges and initially thought the issue was due to the hinge being too long, but the screws align.

any ideas on how to resolve would be grateful appreciated as its driving me MAD!

thanks!

2. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Start by pushing the frame together. With the window open, push near the handle using the back(hinge) side to pull and squash the two sides together.

3. JayDIY

JayDIY New Member

apologies, I'm a little confused by your instructions.

ive been tinkering, trying to remedy the issue. the handle will open and close without hinderance when the sash is open, and all mechanisms engage.
    when the side hinged window is then closed, the handle won't come down as the mechanism is possibly catching? i'm thinking the bottom hinge is off kilter slightly, do you think the frame needs squashing together with the window?

4. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Yes maybe. Take your rectangle, and squeeze it to give it a smaller waistline.

5. JayDIY

JayDIY New Member

huzzah, i think worked it out. hinge is the correct size, however...i need to recalibrate the positioning of the screws on the sash its self (as opposed to the window frame). if they're a mm or so out, it misaligns the window, and the espag handle won't close the locking system.

6. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Old thread resurrection but i have a window where the mechanism works fine. I can even pull the window slightly closed and the handle locks down. But, when i close the window FULLY, i cant press the handle down to lock window! It stops three quarters of the way as if something is misaligned. It engages fine when set to trickle opening.

Everything seems secure. Mechanism works fine when window open. Fully shut, i cant close the handle down fully. Thus, not sealing the window.

7. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Ok, found the issue. Receiver on right hand side stopping locking execution of handle. Removed the receiver and window closes and locks fine. Cant adjust though. Removal has sorted it for now.

8. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

just refit the keep (receiver) in the correct position.

9. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Tried. At least window closes properly now