Upvc hinge adjustment?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Salpaul, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Salpaul

Salpaul New Member

Hello group :)
    My first post, any help much appreciated.
    Had a look at my sons upvc door as it needs adjusting, although I've adjusted quite a few upvc doors in my time I was not sure about this type, I assume the adjustment screws etc are behind the big flap shown in photo but I didn't want to force it in case I damaged it.
    Best regards
    Paul upvc-hinge.jpg

2. GS63

GS63 New Member

hinge.jpg

Salpaul likes this.
  3. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Open the door and show us a picture from the other side of the hinge I bet there is an adjustment there

Salpaul likes this.
  4. Salpaul

Salpaul New Member

Thanks for your reply :)
    I did try to prise that flap open but not much force as I was afraid of damaging anything

5. Salpaul

Salpaul New Member

Thanks for your reply :)
    See below.
    Hinge-open.jpg

6. jonathanc

As I guessed the adjustment is the nut on the middle “bar” in that hinge. You can see the thread on it

Salpaul likes this.
  7. Salpaul

Salpaul New Member

Thanks Jonathanc
    Am I correct that nut will adjust width?
    If so how do you adjust height?

8. jonathanc

width yes. height you don't adjust. if the frame were fitted plumb then no adjustment should be needed

whats the issue causing the need for adjustment?

9. Salpaul

Salpaul New Member

The door is a tight fit and requires some effort to close, which does suggest that nut will solve that issue, the other issue when the door is closed the lock (applied on inside by thumb knob rather than key and key on outside) is hard to turn but I need to have another look at that next time I visit
    Cheers
    Paul

10. jonathanc

those adjusters are out quite a lot. wind them all back in a bit and i bet that solves the problem

Salpaul likes this.
  11. Salpaul

Salpaul New Member

Thanks mate :)
    Will do that next time I visit, or pass the message to my son and he can have a go.

12. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Is it all 3 or just the central one the adjuster. As I have a similar issue

13. TMB1984

TMB1984 New Member

I'm absolutely no expert but bear in mind I think some times the doors do expand in sunlight when really hot (as it has been recently). We've found that we can't close ours after a seriously hot day (South facing) until later in the evening.

14. Salpaul

Salpaul New Member

I think it will depend on where it's tight, if it's say tight only at top adjust top bolt etc

15. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Just adjusted mine, it was slightly different as there was a Allen key type adjuster under that white plastic cover (other side from photo position). Moved top and middle in slightly and it’s opening/closing a lot easier.

Attached Files:

Salpaul likes this.