uPVC window fitting

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Cyrill, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Cyrill

Cyrill New Member

Recently we have had the windows in our house re-done, they are all upvc via Visage, after some research on checkatrade etc found a fitter with a lot of good reviews who seems legit ...

The fitting is almost done, but theres a few things here and there that have caused me some concern - I have flagged these up w/ the fitters but they either havent been done or dont seem to have been fixed right ? there just seems to be little bits skewwhiff on some of the windows (tho a few of them are fine

Also despite picking all the same style all the bay windows seem to be slightly different in fashion, with some having corner pieces and others not, some having wide panels at the top and some not

Also in taking out the windows some of the surrounding brickwork was damaged (can see on unfinished kitchen window, the rest has been plastered over) - is this normal? in a few places they used quite a lot of foam to repair it and not sure if that is still there under the new plaster as it was done while I was at work ...

Essentially I havent got much experience of what is just a minor thing or what I should be making a fuss about getting redone; if anyone has had these kind of windows done I'd be grateful for some advice ... pics of the work attached in link here:

https://imgur.com/a/xVxej

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I'm having new windows in a few weeks, if they are as bad as yours they'll be coming back out twice as fast as they went in.

What's the sterling board under the window for???

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

ALL of those pictures you have shown have flaws that need sorting out. Unfinished joints, unsquare edge capping on reveals(the lip on the capping should be 90ยบ), extra trim in reveals not needed(I can only guess that their capping was only a certain depth so extra trim was added to finish it), joint covers not meeting downstrip on bay(bottom), poor cutting on meeting joints(top), dings/dents in edge capping gotta come out, etc etc etc.
    Can't tell on the width of windows with what might have been there before(render outside might be width of new window with more gap inside).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Cyrill

Cyrill New Member

the window used to be a taller one but we intended to have new units put under there so it was panelled underneath

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Horrible job, white plastic everywhere, very poor finish, nothing is lined up, capping over wall paper etc.

Please tell me you haven't already paid in full...

6. Cyrill

Cyrill New Member

no we havent yet, only deposit for materials

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That's good to hear. Do NOT pay, or at least leave a significant portion still to pay, until everything is sorted to your satisfaction. I'd also be pointing out, in writing, the issues that you're unhappy with ASAP as that was you've given the earliest possible notice.

I'd also be writing down (for my own benefit) what your expectations are and what the job exactly has been agreed to be. Things like: installing windows, where panels vs trims will be (there should be a design that you signed up to), making good, alignment of trims, how the inside cheeks will be finished etc.

Where's @Devil's Advocate when you need him...

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Is the house to be gutted and put back together or staying as it is?

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Terrible job..

Pay nothing more. Send a letter setting out all the issues and request rectification within say 28 days

If there is no response to that then there are a few follow up letters before you can try to recover your deposit, but let,s see if the first letter works first

As to the workmanship, naff, embarassing, obviously no pride in their work