Upvc windows being installed

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Lizzy, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

hi

New here but have a question about my arrival of my new upvc windows.

I have builder who is installing them but they have arrived yesterday as seperate parts. Glass and frames seperate ?

I thought they would come all complete and fully sealed units for him to install ?

Bit worried they won’t be top quality??

As I have paid a lot of money!!!

Thanks

2. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

That's absolutley normal.

Lizzy likes this.
  3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

The glass unit themselves are sealed,and get installed into the frames after the frames are fitted.
    Cando

Lizzy likes this.
  4. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

All fine.

The fixings used, long screws called frame fixings, are fitted where the glass will sit. Then when the glass is fitted they are nicely hidden.

And also weight - try picking up a 1m square sealed unit, they are heavy. Put several of those together and it would need a crane.

Just make sure that he fits the glass in the correct orientation as often there is an inside and outside.

Lizzy and Astramax like this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

A few new folk posting on here recently with no trust in the trades people they have employed.......very disheartening.

CGN and blarblarblarblar like this.
  6. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Does that not show the quality of the customer

blarblarblarblar likes this.
  7. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

well to be fair to the OP - he did post an innocent question. In any event my experience of window fitters is poor. There must be good ones out there but I've never met them!

8. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

Thank you very much for you helpful post. Much appreciated.

I only wanted to check with people as Ive never done anything home improvements like this before.

I’m not feeling very welcome on here so I’ll just leave but thank you to those that had a helpful reply

9. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

Thank you and I am a woman so that probably explains why I had to ask for advice

10. Astramax

Please don't take my comments personally it was not pointed at you directly, just a general observation following recent posts. If it helps I agree with Jonathanc but disappointed people appear not to trust tradespeoples judgement and experience.

Lizzy likes this.
  11. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Why? Most here are helpful and useful and do not have any issue with answering your very basic question.

Does not mean a thing, there are a lot of female tradeswomen although a lot hide their gender.

there are a lot of men who would be too embarrassed to ask - you had a worry, you asked a legitimate question. It may now sound a silly question, but until you knew why, it was perfectly valid. And hence the first three replies.

Jord86 and Lizzy like this.
  12. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

Ok thank you

Astramax likes this.
  13. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

Thanks

14. Astramax

No problem ;)

Lizzy likes this.
  15. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Ditto

Lizzy likes this.
  16. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

That’s fine no worries I’m sorry if I offended anyone

17. Astramax

You would have a job on here if you could.:p:D:)

DIY womble and Lizzy like this.
  18. Astramax

It isn't easy to offend anybody on this forum apart from, oh and then theirs oh and don't forget.......:p

Lizzy likes this.
  19. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Anyhow the day is at an end, how do the windows look. ??:)

20. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

Getting work done is often a stressful experience,the installers bashing your pride & joy property around you have to trust them but if your not happy with their finished work ask here and supply photos ;)

Astramax and Lizzy like this.