USB POWERED BATHROOM MIRROR

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Scott GALLACHER, May 12, 2022.

1. Scott GALLACHER

Scott GALLACHER New Member

Hi, customer has just bought a bathroom suite for the flat I am renovating. The two bathroom cabinet mirrors have come with USB wired connections as the supply. Obviously can't put a USB socket in the bathroom. Any suggestions as never seen this before.

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Why can’t you put a usb socket in a bathroom? Only 5v???

BiancoTheGiraffe and MRY like this.
  3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Is the USB supply SELV? That’s one option.

The other could be to power the bathroom cabinet from the output of a compliant shaver socket located (perhaps) in the loft.

4. Scott GALLACHER

Thought with it being an open point connection it wouldn't be allowed in a bathroom. Got a fused spur at top of wall directly above and was thinking of putting a USB socket behind the mirror.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Have you seen the electronics in many of the USB sockets? Safety is not the first concern. 230v in can easily become 230v out in some circumstances.

It’s ok if the usb socket is SELV.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  6. chesterw

chesterw Active Member

Whats the point of a usb mirror?

Ind spark likes this.
  7. Scott GALLACHER

Havnt a clue, that's what happens when Belgian customers just start buying random items. But someone must have a solution if they are selling them.

8. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Come on, what if your phone's going flat while your having a shave:D

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Did they buy it in the UK?

10. Scott GALLACHER

WAYFAIR

11. Scott GALLACHER

Attached Files:

12. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I would quite like a USB socket in my bathroom, I like to watch videos off my tablet while having a bath...

Got a USA 110v USB charger currently which goes in the shaver socket, but would be really handy to put a SELV USB port somewhere

13. chesterw

chesterw Active Member

Blimey, I suppose its about time I got rid of the black and white telly and 15A sockets in the bathroom

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    billfromarran likes this.
  14. Scott GALLACHER

What about removing the problem of the USB connection by taking the cable supply out. I have a fused spur above which is from the shaver, run a 1.5mm cable in the wall and use this to power a 240 - 5 v transformer which I can attach to the inside of the cabinet (placed in waterproof casing) which can then be connected to the wiring supply of the cabinet. I am just saying this because I have seen so many loose transformers for LED cabinet downlighters in en-suites.

adgjl likes this.
  15. Hausfix

Hausfix Well-Known Member

I’ve one across this type of mirror before, it had a battery compartment for 4 x AA batteries plus the option to plug into a USB.
    I used the USB cable, cut the USB plug off and wired directly into a 240v ac to 12v dc led lighting transformer via a 12v dc to 6v dc step down module I found from Amazon. Both went into the void in the plasterboard behind the mirror. Nice and easy and worked perfectly.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  16. Hausfix

Hausfix Well-Known Member

Further to my previous reply, the 12v dc transformer is commonly available, but this is the link to pretty much the same thing I used to step the voltage down from 12v to 6v:

DC Power Converter 12V to 6V Converter Step Down Volt Module Power Supply Car Power Converter DC 9V-22V 12V to DC 6V Buck Voltage Regulator 3A 18W Waterproof (1PCS) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DTQJ...i_i_NEQ2MMPQKD5KDYTN6YE6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

17. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

the op never said anything about 230v. In fact that would only be relevant if f there were a usb transformer which was not mentioned.

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The mirror is powered from a cable with a USB plug on the end. The socket that the cable plugs in to has to derive its 5volts from somewhere.

There must be something that provides the 5volts in play. Unless it comes from a battery there will be something that transforms that 5volts from the 230volts mains supply.
    So there has to be a usb transformer somewhere, hasn’t there?

Am I missing your point, or do you have another idea?

19. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

From the Wayfair website:
    • USB rechargeable batteries mean no ugly cables trailing from it and no additional cost to constantly replace batteries. Charges fully in just 3 to 4 hours or you can keep it plugged in permanently using the 120cm long USB cable
    https://www.wayfair.co.uk/lighting/pdp/17-stories-allivia-led-4-light-mirror-light-u002138696.html

That particular light is shown stuck to the front of the mirror with plastic sucker cups, we aren’t talking quality here and just because they say it can be left plugged in to recharge doesn’t mean it should be permanently connected in a bathroom.

Will it actually run solely off the USB? It may always run off the batteries with the USB just recharging them.

20. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select