USB POWERED BATHROOM MIRROR

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Scott GALLACHER, May 12, 2022.

1. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

The Legrand complies with the requirements for telephone equipment interoperability and is Class II double insulated, it’s not Class III SELV and unsuitable for use in a bath or shower room within 2.5 metres of zone 1.
    The particular one you have linked to also lacks the voltage and current labelling on the front of it.

These are battery chargers for IT equipment, not power supplies for appliances and lighting, the manufacturers state that.

2. The Happy Builder

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I do not understand your point. The bathroom cabinet that the OP proposes is not earthed in any way. The provided cable has no earth and the USB charge socket, if it as it is SELV, will not provide an earth either.

4. The Happy Builder

My point is that USB charger sockets are not SELV.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Even if they have the SELV sign on them and the technical specification states that they are SELV?

6. The Happy Builder

7. Spike_hiker

Spike_hiker Member

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Thank you. That was one of the two USB sockets that I had already identified and provided links for (some days ago). As far as I am concerned that should do the job.
    I do not disagree (again I have already said) many USB chargers are not compliant and the OP must identify one that is.
    From the definitions,

A Class III product is designed to be supplied from a separated/safety extra-low voltage (SELV) power source

So that will be the mirror. The mirror will be powered from the SELV USB socket.

Sorted

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  9. The Happy Builder

10. The Happy Builder

The one that says on the same data sheet they are only suitable for use in dry interior locations?

The installation instructions are even more explicit, stating that they MUST NOT be installed in bathrooms, the manufacturers use of capital letters not mine, they also don’t have a suitable IP rating.

https://manualzz.com/doc/27613652/mk-k5837-power-module-installation-manual

Honestly, you have a better chance of finding a fairy riding on a unicorn than finding a USB charging device suitable for use within 2.5 metres of zone 1 in a bathroom or shower room.

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes. That’s fine. Behind/above the cabinet will be nice and dry, wouldn’t you think?
    Or install it in the loft above the cabinet??

12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

13. The Happy Builder

SELV is Class III, not Class II.

BS7671 clearly defines the requirements for SELV power sources and these USB chargers don’t meet the requirements.

14. Bazza-spark

From the Legrand catalogue:

upload_2022-5-16_12-34-45.png

From the MK datasheet:

upload_2022-5-16_12-37-55.png

Both manufacturures, with their huge resources, state SELV.

If you disagree then maybe you need to take it up with the manufacturers and Trading Standards.

15. jaisegyi

jaisegyi New Member

I used the USB cable, cut the USB plug off and wired directly into a 240v ac to 12v dc led lighting transformer via a 12v dc to 6v dc step down module I found from Amazon. Both went into the void in the plasterboard behind the mirror. Nice and easy and worked perfectly.

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

GREAT! Excuse us while we trade further blows!:rolleyes:

17. The Happy Builder

Do you really think I would do that as a paid professional?

18. The Happy Builder

IEC 62684:2011 specifies the interoperability of common external power supplies for use with data enabled mobile telephones. It defines the common charging capability and specifies interface requirements for the the external power supply. Safety and EMC aspects are not covered by this International Standard. Safety is covered by IEC 60950-1 and EMC is covered by EN 301 489-34. The French version of this standard has not been voted upon.
    https://webstore.iec.ch/publication/7365

The bit you need to read is :

Safety and EMC aspects are not covered by this International Standard.”

This device has absolutely no safety approvals for being used in a bathroom.

19. Bazza-spark

No, wrong again. I don't need to read anything.

The manufacturers both state SELV. If you think you know better than them with their resources and certification then

a) what a huge ego you have

b) take it up with them, I didn't fill in the documents.

Bazza likes this.
  20. The Happy Builder

The USB chargers you are linking to do not not comply with BS7671:2018:A2:2022 Regulation 414.3 Sources for SELV and PELV.
    So only have very limited uses, I'm not saying you can't use them for their intended purpose, charging mobile IT equipment, but they are not SELV devices for use in bathrooms and shower rooms within 2.5 metres of zone 1.

This has run its course.