Use French light switch in UK?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by hopefulBuilder, Dec 1, 2017.

1. I like the French light switches (basically big round buttons instead of the smaller rectangle buttons of UK). Are there any problems (ie regulations) buying some and fitting them in UK house?

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

The main problem is...they are ..French.
    That is not going to go down well here.
    Remember, it is ..not..racist to take the pee out of the French.
    ;)
    RS

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If they have a CE mark and a recognised French standard, then as we are still in the EU, the answer must be yes. Remember that the Regulations allow the installer or tester to make a decision on the suitability of equipment that does not carry current recognised standards in the EU, for instance, equipment from the USA or even bespoke equipment such as luminaires and wrought iron chandeliers.

hopefulBuilder likes this.
  4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Go for it. And whilst you are at it why not drive on the other side of the road? Happy Friday ;-)

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You willneed a special filter ... a "filtre de Ail" to stop the strange odours. :D

6. retiredsparks

We really dont need to take the pee out of the French...not while there is a German alive...lol

Remember..." Ze German sense of humour..is no laughing matter "

RS

7. Come 19th June 2019, they will all stop working.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Do the French still use latching relays on there lighting circuits?

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Isn't the electricity in France different to the UK?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. Nah - most of our leccy is from France :rolleyes:

12. retiredsparks

THAT explains why when i got a belt last week off a faulty fire...I shouted .....Sacre Bleu !
    Rs

13. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

We do have different rules to France. We can't for example use German sockets where in France it seems although they have a non reversible plug and socket they use the German one. However as to a light switch as long as rated to amps required I see no problem. I know they often use the switch as the junction box where we use ceiling rose and for domestic premises split phase is common as not quite the same but I can see no problem.

Although we buy electric from France it is supplied to us from out step down transformers so although the odd farm or caravan site may get split phase 230 - 0 - 230 it is not seen very often in domestic premises, where we do need extra power often 2 phases of a 3 phase supply not a split phase.

I know their consumer units often have duel MCB's not sure if it switches neutral or two phases.

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

We have electricity, France has ze electricite, with acute accents over the 'e'

15. retiredsparks

You mean like this ?
    Électricité de France
    :cool:
    RS

16. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Sacre Bleu, ow did you do zat?

17. retiredsparks

Well it depends on which office/text app you are using...or you can cheat...... like do what I did ..and copy and paste from the web... !!!
    ;)
    Rs

18. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

What do they fight over?

leesparkykent likes this.
  19. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Don't think so. The person importing the item into the EU is responsible for CE marking it.

Kind regards

leesparkykent likes this.
  20. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Not all the time, but sometimes. As do not just the French, but a lot of Europe.

There's some really creative lighting to be done with a momentary switch and relays. eg If you've got 9 DLs in a room, 1st press puts on 3, 2nd press puts on 6, 3rd press puts on all. Or whatever configuration you want to wire.

We really are behind here.