Use gravel as aggregate for concrete mix

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by ryanincontrol, May 9, 2018.

1. ryanincontrol

ryanincontrol New Member

Hi.
    My driveway, side path and rear garden are are mostly covered in shingles / gravel. I don’t like them and Im looking for ways to get rid of them without having to rent a skip.
    I will be stripping the decking soon and replaced with slabs. Would it be alright if I use shingles as sub-base for the slabs (only foot traffic)?

Also, I have dug a trench for a 1.2m high double skin 5 metre garden wall. The trench is about 40 cm deep. A neighbor suggested that I could use the shingles in my garden as the aggregate for the footing? Obviously, I will need to clean them first. Is my neighbor correct?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Keep the shingle for drainage behind the wall.

Use ballast (mixture of aggregates/gravel), for the concrete mix.

3. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Don't pay for a skip , if you don't want it advertise on free cycle and someone will collect

KIAB likes this.
  4. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

Don’t use shingles or gravel as a paving sub-base. They won’t compact solid.
    You could use some gravel in the mix for footings as long as there’s other smaller aggregates but you need to get the mix right.
    As KIAB says easier to use all-in ballast.

5. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

You could lay a weed membrane and 3 or inches of shingle mixed with sharp sand and grass seed to bind , paving slabs on top as long as they are the big slabs.