Used Log Cabin

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by snappyfish, Apr 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

2. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  3. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Jeez, trying to remove nails punched in with nail gun ... :mad:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The roofing T&G? Started already??? That'll be the hardest problem I think. Oh and the big roof timbers are darn heavy.

5. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

T&G yes, nail gun they used.. Starting yes, progress :(

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Good luck with the dismantling, you'll feel better once you get the lot down and can deal with those bearers.

Don't forget to number all the logs so they go back in the exact order they are in now. Might need another coat of Filter 7 once its all back, may be not. And you have the challenge of keeping everything dry whilst its in bits, but can get some rolls of DPC or VCL/polythene sheeting.

snappyfish likes this.
  7. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Still have wood it came on, so blocks on the ground back onto wood and wrapped in tarpaulin.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  8. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Managed to get the first couple of boards up from step ladder downside then jumped up and kinda pulled each board carefully and pushed it down again, if I was lucky could prise the nail out, If I wasn't lucky it became a damn awkward job.

Started about 4.30pm done nearly all except about 7 boards on one-half of the roof.

... will continue tomorrow.

9. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

When screwing t&g roof boards back in is there a rule of thumb? I would say the centre of the boards?

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I used long thin nails, centre of plank I think 4 each - into the big roof bearers.

snappyfish likes this.
  11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Might be wise to screw the end ones but it ain't going nowhere.

snappyfish likes this.
  12. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Just wondering whether to screw them? The damn fitters that put them in seemed to have no idea of spacing, some middle, some left, some slightly middle right :confused:

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Nails are cheaper...its a lot needed. I had 100 planks x 4 each.

14. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

They left me with the original kit, looks like they might have used there own nails/screws.

The hard ones to get out are the ones that are not centre bottom left next to snips in pic.

IMG_20170919_180437.jpg

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I guess if you try and lift the board those nails pull through the plank?

16. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

If they are center they pull up, push back down and sometimes nail pops out enough lever out with pry bar or claw hammer. If they don't push through when the board is pushed down again or they are off center it creates a problem.

No rain was forecast, no it's due heaver shower ad 5 am better to get out with the head torch and stick some more tarps up there.

Hope those purlins take my weight ok, didn't even think about it until just now o_O

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

No issues with weight. Wouldn't worry to much about rain as long as things can dry out. It's only water.

snappyfish likes this.
  18. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Very true, I have intentions to crack on. No stopping now.

Where the rain did seep in the top of bearers its left watermarks, can that be cleaned somehow?

19. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

snappyfish likes this.