User error using a Transit van ?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by dvddvd, Jan 10, 2019.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I bought a MK 7 Transit van a few months ago, it came with 6 months warranty.

A engine malfunction light came on the dash and then a Cog symbol with a ! Mark in the middle.

I had a code reader and it came up with soot on DPF filter, so I took it into the garage and they cleaned the DPF filter.

I was told by the mechanic that modern Transits need a good motorway run regular if not the DPF regen does not happen that burns the soot. If you only use it round town it will clog up, a new DPF is £1600 if it can not be cleaned.

The burn off only happens when your exhaust is at a certain temp and your van doing a certain speed?

I'm going to try to claim back on the warranty but was told it could be classed as user error?

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

That's exactly why the DPF is rubbish and does nothing to clean the engine in city like London with its emmission laws DPFs actually make the problem worse.

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

So what is a solution to the problem of soot burn off? How do I know if it's done it? Thanks

4. Isitreally

Have you got Adblue on your van??

5. Isitreally

Take it for a good trashing and then add cleaners to the tank every fill up, not much else you can do.

325222.jpeg

6. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Ok thanks, but taking it for a thrashing how do you know when it's done it's burn up?

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Drive round the M25 a few times, as fast as you can go. DPF sorted. ( ooh hang on a minute ) :p:p

8. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

no adblue on this power unit.

you'll have no luck on the warranty. they are all like this. from memory you need 20 minutes running about 2,500 rpm. loads of ford 2.2. power units are like this:

best advise is a 20-30 min motorway run with engine at mid to high revs: will sort itself then