Using a wall dimmer switch as an inline switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kbee, Sep 9, 2021.

1. kbee

kbee New Member

Hi all

I'm trying to wire up a light to hang where there isn't currently a circuit in the wall, so I'm going to run it from a plug socket. I'd like to still have what looks like a wall switch to operate it, even though it'll function like an inline switch - I've made a surface mount box to hold the switch onto the wall, with the wire coming out of the top and bottom. I've wired a lot of table lamps and simple lighting circuits before, but the dimmer switch I bought has quite a different set up to inline switches I've used previously, and I want to make sure what I'm trying to do is possible (and safe!).

The switch I bought is a 1 gang 2 way push dimmer switch, it has three inputs/outputs, marked with L1, L2, and an arrow crossing a wavy line. I will just be using it as a 1 way.

From what I have been able to find reading about these switches online, it looks like I should connect the live from the plug to L1, and have the live to the light fitting connect to the arrow & wavy line. Does that sound correct? And in that circumstance, do I just connect the two neutrals to one another with a wire cap?

I'll also have two earth wires, and there's an earth connection both on the dimmer switch plate and on the light switch knockout box - I'm assuming I can just wire one wire to each? Or should I join them and wire to only one?

Help much appreciated - I'm used to just having obviously marked spots for each wire so this is new to me! The switch didn't come with any instructions or diagrams so I'm just having to figure it out.

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

No the live from plug needs to go to the wavy line and L1 goes to light fitting and join both neutrals in a terminal block or wago and put both earths connected together to the front plate..

Fusebox Wales likes this.