Using bricks and concrete chunks in base

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gs99, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Gs99

Gs99 New Member

Hi, my living room has carpet with wooden floorboards underneath (which soon need replacing).

Underneath the floorboards there is a empty gap of around 2-3m to the ground.

I have a surplus load of bricks and concrete pieces (from my garden area).

Am I able to use the surplus bricks and concrete chunks and then pour over that with fresh concrete?

I am looking to save from disposing of the bricks and save from buying lots of concrete. Concrete will be used in the base just over the bricks/chunks.

Thanks
    GDave

2. I-Man

I-Man Well-Known Member

2-3m??

The floorboads must be sitting on joists which will typically by 100mm, and then there will be gap between the underside of the joists to the ground. is that the gap you're referring to?

3. Gs99

Gs99 New Member

Yes that is correct.

The floorboards sit on the joists and then gap to the ground/surface level.

4. I-Man

I-Man Well-Known Member

so you mean 2/3 cm, not metres.

It's not a good idea to fill this in with with rubble/concrete as you need air circulation

5. Gs99

Gs99 New Member

True but what if I get rid of the ground floor joists and floorboards and ground floor is a concrete base instead that's got bricks / chunks underneath a layer of concrete?

Since its a solid base - no air circulation issues?

6. Gs99

Gs99 New Member

Just check underneath the floorboards today and its 20cm from the ground not 2-3m.

Does my previous reply sound OK to do (if I remove the floorboards/joists and just have a concrete base which has bricks / concrete chunks underneath a layer of concrete?

Thanks
    GDave