Using consumer unit RCD for sockets plus lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Brian Frost, May 14, 2019.

  1. Brian Frost

    Brian Frost New Member

    My RCD in the consumer unit serves only the sockets, not the lighting. I’m considering a small rewire so that it covers lights too. Are there any gotchas or does it really not matter at all, for the benefit of having ‘whole house’ RCD protection (except cooker).
  2. Pollowick

    Pollowick Well-Known Member

    With a rewire - which will be under 18th Edition, lighting will require RCD protection. Your cooker should be protected too.

    Ask about split boards or RCBOs for specific circuits.
  3. spinlondon

    spinlondon Well-Known Member

    Cookers do not require RCD protection.
  4. Alan sherriff

    Alan sherriff Member

    Shurely the cable requires rcd protection if not installed as per regs ie surface or mechanically protected
  5. Bazza

    Bazza Well-Known Member

    Cookers don’t, but the cables in the walls do, if they are buried less than 50mm.

    Having one RCD for the whole house is not recommended. If you get a fault, the whole house switches off.
  6. MGW

    MGW Well-Known Member

    Assess the risk, if you trip a RCD you may well have received a shock, you don't really want all lights to fail at the same time. Lights on RCBO so independent from other power great, if not then nothing using power in any room should be using same RCD as lights, so having a RCD feed upstairs sockets and down stairs lights and a second feeding down stairs sockets and upstairs lights is a good compromise.

    The problem is the MCB only switches line, so a neutral earth fault can't be isolated, the RCBO comes in two flavours, some only switch line, but some also switch neutral although there is no overload monitoring on the neutral, using the latter RCBO means if there is a fault on a circuit you can isolate it.
  7. Brian Frost

    Brian Frost New Member

    That's very helpful, thanks.

Share This Page