Using emulsion as a primer/undercoat?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Deccy, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Deccy

Deccy New Member

My boss insists on using emulsion to prime bare wood and also uses it as an undercoat sometimes, mainly because he is to tight to buy a proper primer. I'm pretty sure its wrong, am I right? He primed a staircase, half in primer and half in emulsion, because he ran out! The half that was primed with proper primer all furred up like it is supposed to but the half that had emulsion on just felt smooth. Am I right in saying that a proper primer soaks in and seals the wood and thats why the fibres come out? Would the emulsion just sit on top of the wood and how will it wear over the years underneath an oil undercoat and gloss?

2. Monster

Monster New Member

Hi, I can't answer all of your questions but I do know that paints are application specific and while you can bodge through things and even attain a good finish with the wrong stuff it will not last but I have a feeling that your boss may not be worried about repeat business.

Gloss over emulsion is oil over water as you say and we all know the two aren't designed to mix.

Also, you are right, a primer is designed to seal bare wood whereas an undercoat provides a uniform surface to gloss over (you can get primer and undercoat in one) but as emulsion is a topcoat I can't see that is should be used as a first application on wood.

Hope that helps a bit. I'm sure the others will provide some more succint advice shortly :)

3. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

Deccy you are spot on, your boss should listen to you.

IWS: Information With a Smile :)

4. Monster

Monster New Member

Ha Ha, I told you didn't I?!

5. mardyoldgit

mardyoldgit New Member

Seen it done in the past on new builds many times I'm afraid.

6. jcts

jcts Active Member

if you need to spot prime small areas and haven't got primer to hand then a little bit of emulsion will be fine but not for big areas. also primer is designed for sealing the wood and bringing the fibres out so you can rub it down smooth. i will some times use a bit of emulsion to block out severe colour changes on skirtings and door frame etc as it's quicker

7. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

The OP indicates his boss treats all timber in this way. The boss should take a leaf out of his employees book.

8. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

Tut Tut Deccy, your boss should be strung up by his thumbs, what a git, he's the sort of worker that makes us look bad.

This was one of the reasons I gave up on new build, as I couldnt condone the shortcuts like using emulsion as a primer/undercoat, and then just gloss on top, that and a few other things.

I am a perfectionist, and sometimes I do make more work for myself, but I know I could never work for anyone ever again, at least by being your own boss, you can hold your head up, knowing that you are not doing inferior work.

9. Deccy

Deccy New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. He is a bodger but it is something that I have to put up with for now until I can find enough customers to go on my own, hopefully early next year!

Monster, I know what you're saying about water and oil but what about when we use an acrylic undercoat underneath an oil gloss?

Bobbie, I know what you mean about being a perfectionist, I am the same. It does my head in to work like this. The funny thing about it all is that he thinks hes so good at what he does! His final finish is very good, I have to say, but he will cut so many corners to achieve it.

10. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

Once you go solo, you should have no problem poaching your current employers customers if you adopt a stance of oerfection. In fact you could actually charge more as you will have a USP (unique selling proposition) in the quality that you apply, over his lack of quality.

11. Monster

Monster New Member

Aye up Deccy,

Dammit, I knew I'd get myself in trouble by pretending I knew what I was talking about!!

Short answer is I'm not sure, but will have a look and get back to you. (My other half is about to have my nuts for not using the computer for "interesting stuff" - What can you do?!)

My guess is that as acrylic is water based it might not be the best choice to precede an iol gloss but this is not based on experience.

Will give you a proper answer once i've looked it up. :)

12. Deccy

Deccy New Member

Haha. Same here mate, my missus is always having a go at me for being on here so much, glad I'm not the only one!