Using glass from upvc windows

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by hollyb96, Jan 17, 2022.

1. hollyb96

hollyb96 Member

Hi, I am going to be building a cabin this year hopefully and I want to make it as cheap as possible by buying using a lot of second hand stuff. One of the things I'd like to buy second hand is windows. I was wondering if it was possible to remove and use the glass from upvc windows as sort of like a frameless window option? I have tried to find info online but cant find anything. I would obviously seal it up and everything. I want to use the same method as these people did for there home: (fast forward to 8:49).
    Is this something that could be possible to do with upvc windows? Thanks

2. Cloudsnapper

Cloudsnapper Member

You can certainly remove the glass Video
    Could see lots of problems trying to get things weather tight though.

3. hollyb96

hollyb96 Member

Thanks for the response and video. Is the glass of double glazed windows fully sealed? So if I was to use them in this way, water wouldnt be able to get between the glass? Do you think the people in the video I linked would also have problems with it being weather tight or are there windows made differently?

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

My workshop windows are standard double glazed units built into wooden framed I created. JUst install properly, silicon bead and a wooden bead.

CGN likes this.
  5. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

You would have to make sure that the units you get are OK for a start, then fit them into rebates using the correct plastic spacers (cheap) and ensure that the outer & inner panes have no differential loading which will cause the units to fail relatively quickly. As above, a nice little bead of silicone will stop water getting into your rebate and (if it's timber) making it rot.

I will just observe that secondary glazing will be more noise-proof, maybe better for heat retention, and is less prone to going wrong.

6. Busterhymen

Busterhymen Active Member

Most replacement windows are to replace old UPVC double glazed ones. My local supply/fitters encourage people to take the old scrap ones away to save paying for them to be scrapped. Generally, they have already taken the glass out of the frame.

There's always a risk that the seal will fail. You may be surprised how cheap new double glazed units are.

7. hollyb96

hollyb96 Member

Thanks for the advice!
    I mainly just dont think upvc windows will work with the aesthetics of the house and I know that aluminium or frameless windows are really expensive. If I go with the timber frame and silicone option, would I need to still put this weather seal sticky stuff on top of would I need it to just be the timber and silicone?

Attached Files:

• wind.png
      wind.png
      File size:
      1,023.1 KB
      Views: