Using paint twenty years old

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Formosan, Aug 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Formosan

Formosan New Member

I have a tin of Homebase "one coat non-drip gloss" which is about twenty years old. It is solvent based, and has been stored indoors. It is that kind of paint which is a bit like a gel, and it says not to stir it before use. I opened it for the first time last night and found that there was a lot brownish oily liquid on top, much more that would be typical if it had been opened 20 years ago. So I stirred the paint, and did a test by painting over some gloss. This morning the test painting that I did seems to be okay.

I am thinking to use it to paint a front door. The paint on the front door is an oil-based gloss in good condition. There are a couple of chips that will need primer and undercoat, but most of the door will just need a light sanding to make a key.

Whilst it all seems to be okay to me, is there anything that I don't know? For example, will the paint flake and fall off after a few months or anything like that?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If paint looks OK in tin and test was fine it probably is.
    One coat gloss is and was terrible stuff as poor adhesion and caused me troubles over the years as can't sand it or it starts pealing. Up to you if you want to use it.

Formosan likes this.
  3. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

+ 1 to Wayners comment.

I have used a tin of " ordinary " gloss that I had stored for 18 years in the loft.

No problems ( apart from the forgotten- about high from the fumes ).

4. cleggie

cleggie Active Member

Chuck it away and get a new tin.The properties in any paint degrade over time.for the cost it is not worth it.you may spend time doing it then find its not any good etc

5. Formosan

Formosan New Member

Thank you that is very informative. I won't be using the paint on the front door due to the reason above, if it wasn't very good stuff when new how could it be good after 20 years? Better to buy new and be sure that things go well.

6. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Dread to think how many old tins of paint are being stored for years on end!

7. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

It might be ok, I have used 20 year old Hammerite before and it was fine!
    However, I've also used Dulux Trade high gloss less than 5 years old and it didn't dry for 2-3 days.
    You're right not to risk it though.